ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Grab Free Desktop Syncing Plus 25GB Storage Space on Box (Lifehacker 2012-08-15)

<< < (2/3) > >>

IainB:
This offer is still working with 25Gb free today 2012-08-18 1301hrs (NZT).

40hz:
I already have the 50Gb account without syncing feature. I just grabbed one of these 25Gb accounts and all works as advertised. Nice deal. :Thmbsup:

kyrathaba:
Regarding large-capacity backup services, anyone checked-out Amazon Glacier?

Jibz:
I was actually just looking at that, it seems like it would be awesome and cheap for storing data in the size range of normal consumer backups.

But it is almost impossible to work out how much it would cost to retrieve all your data at once in case of emergency -- some of the comments on HN suggest it could be very expensive.

I guess we can hope it will bring down the prices of other online services.

You are charged a retrieval fee when your retrievals exceed your daily allowance. If, during a given month, you do exceed your daily allowance, we calculate your fee based upon the peak hourly usage from the days in which you exceeded your allowance. As we saw above, if you store 12 terabytes of data in Amazon Glacier, you can retrieve up to 20.5 gigabytes for free each day. If you exceed 20.5 gigabytes during a given day (or days) over the course of the month, we determine the hour during those days in which you retrieved the most amount of data for the month. In this example, let’s say your peak hourly retrieval rate is 1 gigabyte per hour, and the amount you retrieved that day is 24 gigabytes.

Peak hourly retrieval for the month = 1 gigabyte per hour
Next we subtract your free allowance from the peak hourly retrieval for the month. To determine the amount of data you get for free, we look at the amount of data retrieved during your peak day and calculate the percentage of data that was retrieved during your peak hour. We then multiply that percentage by your free daily allowance. In this example, you retrieved 24 gigabytes during the day and 1 gigabyte at the peak hour, which is 1/24 or ~4% of your data during your peak hour. We multiply 4% by your daily free allowance, which is 20.5 gigabytes each day. This equals 0.82 gigabytes. We then subtract your free allowance from your peak usage to determine your billable peak.

Billable peak hourly retrieval = Peak hourly retrieval - Free retrieval hourly allowance
Billable peak hourly retrieval = 1 gigabyte - 0.82 gigabytes = 0.18 gigabytes
The amount you pay is your billable peak, multiplied by the number of hours in the month, multiplied by the retrieval fee.
--- End quote ---

:huh:

Renegade:
Offer still looks good...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version