ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Grab Free Desktop Syncing Plus 25GB Storage Space on Box (Lifehacker 2012-08-15)

<< < (3/3)

IainB:
In a separate discussion here Re: Surfulater at BdJ today ($39.50), I made the comment that:
If Neville can make it so the cloud storage is under my control
-mwb1100 (November 23, 2012, 01:51 PM)
--- End quote ---
I haven't done this with Surfulater, but I presume you would be able to put it "in the Cloud" already like most other databases - by using a CloudDrive - e.g., (say) Google Drive, Box.net, SkyDrive, or similar.
I'm not sure, but I presume that if you put into the local (PC-based) Google Drive folder a reparse point (Junction folder) that links to the surfulater database folder on the PC, then presumably up the the pipe its contents would go, and after every change also. Then you could access that folder from the CloudDrive via other PCs.
I shall try it out and see when I have some time later today.
-IainB (November 23, 2012, 06:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

...I'm not sure, but I presume that if you put into the local (PC-based) Google Drive folder a reparse point (Junction folder) that links to the surfulater database folder on the PC, then presumably up the the pipe its contents would go, and after every change also.
-IainB (November 23, 2012, 06:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well, I tried that, but it doesn't seem to work - though it should work. This probably means that the folders in the Google Drive directory on the PC do not necessarily have all the characteristics of directories - or at least not as Junction or reparse points. However, the thing seems to work OK if you put it around the other way - i.e., if you put your Junction/reparse point as the working folder for your database to access, with the link going to an ordinary folder in the Google Drive directory.

There's one particular caveat I'd make about this: If you are using Google Drive, it might muck about with your data in a couple of ways - one is destructive, the other is excessive duplication:
(a) Convert some of your files into Google docs format, without telling you and without leaving you a backout option.
(b) Duplicate/triplicate etc. your files if you had them multi-labelled (it did this on changeover from "labels" to "folders", and without any warning as far as I could see.

What this really means is that you can't rely on the security of your data on Google drive. - the greatest risk being from Google themselves.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version