ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

"Do copy acceleration utilities actually lower file transfer speeds?"

<< < (2/4) > >>

tomos:
[copy acceleration utilities] did seem to speed up massive transfers to and from networked drives.
-40hz (August 10, 2012, 06:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

there's at least one comment to that effect in the comments there.

40hz:
^IIRC TeraCopy also touts network file transfer speed-ups as a feature, which is probably why I started using it in the first place. ;D

Shades:
Teracopy shaves easily about an hour to two hours off when copying Oracle dump files to and from network drives. And yes, quite regularly I need to transfer 350GByte of dump files.

"Funny" thing is that extracting to the network drive directly is slower than extracting dump files locally and then transfer these with TeraCopy.

Also, I concur with the others about TeraCopy being a reliable way of copying data without supervision. Something that is nigh impossible with the Windows Explorer or any file-manager that uses the default explorer facilities.

f0dder:
"Funny" thing is that extracting to the network drive directly is slower than extracting dump files locally and then transfer these with TeraCopy.-Shades (August 10, 2012, 07:55 AM)
--- End quote ---
Have you tried mounting via NFS instead of SMB/CIFS? The SMB protocol, especially before the vista/win2k8 updated version, is notoriously slow - haven't played with NFS myself, but it might be worth a try?

paulobrabo:
I use Teracopy myself (on XP, Vista and 7), and for the reasons given.

What I find interesting, though, is that we all tend to treat what are in theory copy acceleration utilities as real-life copy management utilities. And if Samer is right (and I believe he probably is) copy management has a speed cost in Windows.

My original question remains: is a *real* copy acceleration utility for Windows theoretically possible? How come none of the available utilities seem to achieve the acceleration it promises?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version