ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > fSekrit

fSekrit not working on an old XP PC

<< < (3/3)

MerleOne:
Hi all,

I am happy to report that the issue is solved.  Actually, it was a MS Word error.  I had sent the file as a .doc file, to have the webmail accept it.  The receiver had to rename the attached .doc into a .exe to be able to read the message.  But on his PC, extensions of known types were hidden (default XP setting), so when the file (foo.doc) was renamed into a .exe, it was actually renamed into foo.exe.doc. Hence the error message.

The setting has been changed on this PC, and now it works fine.

f0dder:
Nice to hear :)

Would probably have been better to .zip up the file? Unless, of course, the webmail either disallows .zip or checks contents for executables as well (*sigh*).

MerleOne:
Nice to hear :)

Would probably have been better to .zip up the file? Unless, of course, the webmail either disallows .zip or checks contents for executables as well (*sigh*).

-f0dder (October 03, 2012, 10:10 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, I think it does check .zip for executable files and blocks the mail if one is found.  I could encrypt the zip, in that case I just get a warning, but it's faster to rename as a .doc file.

x16wda:
Now, everyone silently send up an appropriate word of thanks to Mr. Gates for his decision to hide file extensions by default.

f0dder:
Now, everyone silently send up an appropriate word of thanks to Mr. Gates for his decision to hide file extensions by default.-x16wda (October 04, 2012, 06:57 PM)
--- End quote ---
Dunno if that was Bill's decision, but it's definitely one of the less wise things Microsoft have done. One could argue that we shouldn't use file extensions instead, but rely on file metadata instead, but I'm not convinced about that - extensions survive across different filesystems and transport protocols, are fast to deal with, and are conceptually simple :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version