ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

my pc anywhere

<< < (2/2)

Edvard:
I'm with f0dder; Remote Desktop through SSH is the way to go, it's native, more secure (with SSH), and the performance is very good to tolerable, given a decent net connection.

Now, if you happen to have a "Home" or below version of Windows, that's a no-go; try TightVNC:
http://www.tightvnc.com/download.php/
There are portable versions from PortableApps or PenDriveApps.  Just start the VNC server on your machine at home, and carry the portable client on a USB stick.
I'd also recommend TigerVNC, as the performance may be better, but there aren't any portable versions out AFAIK.

For an easy link to your router back home, use DynDNS or No-IP .

If network access isn't your thing, I'll +1 4wd's suggestion of installing into a Portable VirtualBox.  :Thmbsup:

Renegade:
Another option is to get a portable drive and just run your Windows installation from it in a VM. You then don't need to muck around with networks (that are always ever so reliable right when you need them ;) ), and have it 100% available. You might want to make sure that you have a VM player ready to install on other computers though, and might want to check into one for Windows and Mac, and maybe Linux.

You will have some kinds of performance penalties as you're running a VM, but you would always have everything available, irrespective of network reliability or speed. This would make it possible to do things like play movies or music, which aren't practical using a remote desktop solution.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version