ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Steam set to become app store

(1/4) > >>

Edvard:
Hmm...  :huh:

The Software titles coming to Steam range from creativity to productivity. Many of the launch titles will take advantage of popular Steamworks features, such as easy installation, automatic updating, and the ability to save your work to your personal Steam Cloud space so your files may travel with you.

--- End quote ---

http://store.steampowered.com/news/8584/

KynloStephen66515:
Steam could not find an Internet connection, unfortunately this means ALL the software you bought before you had an unexpected Internet failure, will no longer work
--- End quote ---

I expect that to be one of the error messages when they start this crap.

wraith808:
I still haven't had that problem (shrugs).

And Impulse (that POS) already has applications other than games in the store.

I still think that the word App is being overused - what I usually think of when I think of Apps is a The Single Responsibility Principlew, i.e. something that does one thing well.  Those are the types of Apps I look for also.

Edvard:
I agree the word is being overused, and hence my derisive tone.  Steam, despite it's drawbacks, appears to be an excellent content-delivery client for games, and adding non-game content is, in my opinion, not the greatest idea in the world.
It is, however, what the fans/consumers want, so they'll make of it whatever is eventually rolled out.  My question is, how will it be implemented to take advantage of the cross-platform direction they've taken lately (supporting Linux, and Mac previously).  Will you be able to filter the list, or will the client do that for you automagically?
Interesting times...

wraith808:
It will probably be the same as what it does now, I'd think... steam doesn't really care, nor try to impose any limits on you.  There's an icon at the bottom to let you know what platforms a game is for, and other than that, you can buy it.  I've never bought anything on the Mac, so I can't say for sure if it restricts (or warns) you if you try to buy for a platform that something isn't available for, but I can say that you can see everything.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version