ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Hacked "hard" via the cloud.

<< < (2/4) > >>

IainB:
A warning about having multiple interlinked devices and accounts.
hacked really hard
-NigelH (August 04, 2012, 12:43 PM)
--- End quote ---
Maybe add "...without adequate security, built-in and secure redundancy or proper backup contingencies...".

rxantos:
From the site:
Update Three: I know how it was done now. Confirmed with both the hacker and Apple. It wasn’t password related. They got in via Apple tech support and some clever social engineering that let them bypass  security questions. Apple has my Macbook and is trying to recover the data. I’m back in all my accounts that I know I was locked out of. Still trying to figure out where else they were.

--- End quote ---

This means that irrelevant of how good is your password is, your computer can be hacked by Apple.  Bottom line, TRUST NO ONE.

Tuxman:
Don't use the cloud for sensitive data. Done.

Shades:
Don't use the cloud for sensitive data. Done.
-Tuxman (August 05, 2012, 02:20 AM)
--- End quote ---

Don´t use the cloud. Period.  FTFY

cyberdiva:
I was surprised to read that the hacker "got in through Apple tech support and some clever social engineering that let them bypass security questions."  Huh?  I don't use Apple stuff, but it's nonetheless disconcerting--make that alarming--that tech support is somehow involved/insecure and that one can somehow bypass security questions.  I wish I understood how this could happen.  If it could happen with Apple, I'm sure it could happen as well with MS.  I try to keep my paranoia level under control, but this has sent it sky high...um...to the cloud(s)? :o

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version