ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Maximizing problems when docking toolbar on left in Windows 7

<< < (2/2)

mitzevo:
I also have the win7 bar docked on left side (with autohide on), and also experience the width setttings reset after running a full screeen game. I just manually restore it back-drag it back to the width I like.

4wd:
Not hibernation (save RAM to disc), no  - but it does often get switched to "sleep".-IainB (August 04, 2012, 11:26 PM)
--- End quote ---

What OS?

Windows 7, (and Vista IIRC), go into Hybrid Sleep by default I think, just in case the machine loses power it can resume from the hibernate file.

superboyac:
I have used LHS docking for the Windows Start toolbar for years, in XP and in Win7-64, and it usually gives no problems. That's probably because it was designed to work that way if a user set it so.
The only times I have seen problems in the Toolbar are generally when a proggy upsets Windows Explorer. If this happens, it is often ineffective to fiddle with the Toolbar properties - the quickest and most effective fix is to restart Windows Explorer.
Right now, my daughter's laptop has a periodically recurring problem with the LHS Toolbar - it keeps shrinking in width and/or refusing to "auto-hide", and I have shown her how to fix it with a restart of Windows Explorer. So far, I have not been able to establish what is causing this recurring problem.

-IainB (August 04, 2012, 10:15 AM)
--- End quote ---
how do you restart windows explorer?  The only way i know how is to crash it.

4wd:
how do you restart windows explorer?  The only way i know how is to crash it.-superboyac (August 06, 2012, 10:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

Open Task Manager
End explorer.exe process
File->New Task and enter explorer.exe

Or, try this: Add Restart Explorer to Context Menu which does the same thing in a more user-friendly manner.

IainB:
...I just manually restore it back-drag it back to the width I like.
-mitzevo (August 04, 2012, 11:32 PM)
--- End quote ---
This is tedious. Save yourself some trouble and just restart Windows Explorer.

Open Task Manager
End explorer.exe process
File->New Task and enter explorer.exe

Or, try this: Add Restart Explorer to Context Menu which does the same thing in a more user-friendly manner.
-4wd (August 06, 2012, 10:44 PM)
--- End quote ---
I usually use Restart Explorer (it's usually quickest).
(You can find RE has been discussed elsewhere in the DC Forum.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version