ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Outlook.com

<< < (4/12) > >>

Jibz:
Found a couple of things out the hard way. If you sign up for this using a Windows Live account that uses a non-Microsoft email address, you don't get a new Microsoft email address you can send from, you'll have to send from your non-Microsoft email address within outlook.com. (I wouldn't recommend it, when I sent from my gmail address TO my gmail address from outlook.com, it gets flagged as a possibly not from me when I logged into Gmail to check it out.) You can create email aliases which are @outlook.com, but you can't send from them (at least in the above scenario). And the really important part, once you create an alias, you can't use that email address for a new account even if you delete the alias later.
-daddydave (August 04, 2012, 06:50 AM)
--- End quote ---

It appears I have maneuvered myself into the same corner :-\.

You can choose to send from an alias by creating an e-mail and pressing the little down arrow next to your name on the left (aliases seem to appear after a while). Still doesn't give an obvious way to change an alias into the main address.

daddydave:

You can choose to send from an alias by creating an e-mail and pressing the little down arrow next to your name on the left
-Jibz (August 04, 2012, 12:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

Oh, I didn't see that, thanks!  :Thmbsup:

daddydave:
The ads "feature" seems to have rolled out to me right before my eyes, that gray area was blank before. Time to re-enable ABP! Ads are pretty though, and showing local restaurants, so maybe I keep them for a while.

IainB:
...And isn't that the same link in the OP IanB?
-wraith808 (August 04, 2012, 10:49 AM)
--- End quote ---
Oh yes, so it is. Coincidence. I had evidently been reading the same post as @nosh, but as he had put the hyperlink only (which I didn't look at anyway) and not the title, in my scan-reading haste I had not realised it was the same thing.

IainB:
WARNING: Consider not using true Date of birth when setting up an Outlook.com account for a minor.
When I got a laptop for my daughter Lily (now 10 y/o), I tried to set up a Gmail account for her that used the simple format [email protected], but that name pattern for her name had already been taken (was not available).

So when Outlook.com was announced, I hurriedly went in to see if I could set up an account for Lily that enabled her to use the format [email protected]. To my delight, it was available.
I was entering her details and when it came to "Date of birth", I unthinkingly put in her true DOB. When I went to set up her access to Live (MSM), SkyDrive etc., I then found myself trapped in a tight security-checking process where I had to ask my parent/guardian for proof of approval. So I signed on as myself to give it, but then the security process wanted to send a text key message to my phone and insisted that I accept a charge for it via Credit card/Paypal (part of which charge would go to a charity), and I had to use the text key as proof.
At which point I bailed out of the process in frustration, as I dislike being obliged to give out personal information (phone number and credit card details) to get something like this done and being obliged to accept a charge for it at the same time. Ruddy cheek!    >:(

When I explained to Lily that I had what I had done and the hassle, she said:
"Oh yes. Dad, I avoid giving my real age when I am setting up an account for a game or anything, but if I do give it I also give my Gmail account as my guardian's email address, and approve it that way."
--- End quote ---
:-[

I went into her Outlook.com account and changed her DOB to an adult age (63). Let's see if that works...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version