ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Outlook.com

(1/12) > >>

nosh:
So MS rolled out yet another email service: outlook.com

Digital Inspiration has compiled a "reasons to love it" list.
http://www.labnol.org/internet/gmail-vs-outlook/24531/

Some good features listed there, some not so much.

This bit (from the above mentioned article) got my attention...
Outlook makes it easy for you to recover your deleted messages even if you have permanently emptied your Trash bin. Open the “Deleted” folder in Outlook and click the link that says “recover deleted messages.”

--- End quote ---

- seems like a very good reason to not use the service for anything private if MS is going to hold onto my mail till it decides not to.

MS's reasoning:With Microsoft Outlook, you can recover email that might have been accidently deleted from your inbox. This is also helpful if your account has been hacked, because hackers often delete all the messages in an account.
--- End quote ---

Hilarious! If a hacker gets into my account the last thing I want is for him to have the fxxxing ability to resurrect every last one of my deleted mails.  ;D

However...
This feature doesn’t work for child accounts. This way, parents can be confident that when they delete messages from their children’s accounts, they stay deleted.

--- End quote ---

I have no clue how to create a child account but apparently, that's the way to go.

Carol Haynes:
Actually while I see the security and privacy issues with recovering deleted emails there are a couple of good points to it too.

I have had a number of customers with hacked Hotmail (and Yahoo) accounts who have lost everything. OK they were stupid to rely on an online service as the only copy of their email but they would have killed for that feature.

At the end of the day privacy on any service is illusory - any provider can access all of your email. If they want to waste server space storing it for a while after deletion I can't really see it is a cause for too much concern.

40hz:
At the end of the day privacy on any service is illusory - any provider can access all of your email. If they want to waste server space storing it for a while after deletion I can't really see it is a cause for too much concern.
-Carol Haynes (August 01, 2012, 04:49 PM)
--- End quote ---

And there's also message encryption for anything you're that worried about. You can get fancy with Gpg4win and Kleopatra, or just attach an encrypted text or other file to an innocuous cover letter if you don't do a lot of this. Freeware products like AxCrypt and dsCrypt are good for encrypting individual files. Both provide more than adequate security for normal personal uses.
 8)

IainB:
Rather good comparison of Outlook.com features v. Gmail. Some good/useful point there: Ten Reasons to Love the New Outlook.com

nosh:
Can't argue with the fact that some people would find it handy.

40, don't know how well encryption would work if the fact that I've been corresponding with someone, is in itself a giveaway (eg: talking to potential employers).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version