topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 1:33 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: A unified solution for note taking and task management  (Read 41008 times)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: A unified solution for note taking and task management
« Reply #50 on: July 16, 2012, 12:57 PM »
I guess it comes down to finding some form of automatic link/site grabber instead of looking for a RSS tool
It's really quite an impossible task.  I wouldn't even attempt to hack a solution.  Google at one point flirted with the idea of using its search engine as an api, but quickly put a stop to it.  Google specifically forbids any kind of crawling.  Most website authors need you to visit their sites, so their feeds are just a line or two.  There's too much resistance for something as nice and convenient as we are talking about.  Because in the end, money wins.  Convenience and user-friendliness only appeals to one crowd: the users.  But the users have no say in the matter here, so in the end the complete opposite happens.  Yay...another reason to be cynical.

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: July 16, 2012, 01:02 PM »
I guess it comes down to finding some form of automatic link/site grabber instead of looking for a RSS tool
It's really quite an impossible task.  I wouldn't even attempt to hack a solution.  Google at one point flirted with the idea of using its search engine as an api, but quickly put a stop to it.  Google specifically forbids any kind of crawling.  Most website authors need you to visit their sites, so their feeds are just a line or two.  There's too much resistance for something as nice and convenient as we are talking about.  Because in the end, money wins.  Convenience and user-friendliness only appeals to one crowd: the users.  But the users have no say in the matter here, so in the end the complete opposite happens.  Yay...another reason to be cynical.

For sure and yes definitely money and ads. Also things like spreading articles over many pages for even more extra clicks.

Not saying this is what you need but not very far off either http://www.kiwix.org/index.php/Main_Page

oblivion

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: July 17, 2012, 05:49 AM »
@PaulKeith - I was just wondering...on your travels...have you ever found a feedreader that worked exactly the way you thought one should? Because I certainly haven't. ;D
Just my two cents: while I suspect I may not be the average user of feedreaders, I've only ever found one I liked, and it's a Firefox addon called Newsfox.

It took a bit of messing around to get it to work how I wanted it to: in particular, the sort options are unintuitive (but I got the info I needed from the forum.)
-- bests, Tim

...this space unintentionally left blank.

SKA

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #53 on: July 17, 2012, 08:51 PM »
What's the point of using these hardcore news software, when in the end, you still have to go to the actual site in the actual browser to read it?

Well superboyac, the author of Rooster - Brana told me Rooster V4 may come by late July:

"Do check Rooster home page by late July for Rooster series-4 a huge maintenance release. Not many new features though, but one of them addresses that "linked web site issue" ie. cases where full articles are not inside the feed but on another web site instead. We're testing it right now, I think it's quite elegant solution - you'll see."

so lets hope version 4 fixes this issue.

Rgds
Ska

SKA

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #54 on: August 02, 2012, 05:08 PM »
Superboyac,

Rooster 4.1.0.4  feature:
To display referred website online content go to Settings/Newsboxes/Preview Pane -> check 'Display referred website'.  Hope it works better for you,

Next update (early August) -  you can switch above option on the fly/per newsbox (current settings will be shifted to defaults).

Download: http://www.drivehq.c...eb/brana/rooster.htm

Rgds
Ska