ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Finished Programs

DONE: Paste a screenshot in windows explorer

(1/4) > >>

patku:
My request is detailed on SuperUser, but basically I would like to use the standard PrtScn/Alt+PrtScn keys and then use Ctrl+V or Shift+Insert (standard paste keys) in a windows explorer window to "paste" that screenshot as a new file. Optionally, a popup will supply a default name and allow me to override it.

It looks like MiniCap provides 90% of what is needed...

Thanks!
Pat

mouser:
You can do exactly what you want using my Screenshot Captor; just set the option to automatically copy the screenshot to the Clipboard, and set the program to stay minimized after capture (so it doesn't pop up asking you what you want to do after each capture).

patku:
@mouser I may be missing something, but it seems that your directions allow me to get a copy of the screenshot into the clipboard. However, I don't see a way to paste that screenshot into an explorer window to create an image file of that screenshot. (Of course, I could auto-save to a directory or paste the image into Paint and save it, but that's not what I want.) Please correct me if I'm wrong.

mouser:
However, I don't see a way to paste that screenshot into an explorer window to create an image file of that screenshot.
--- End quote ---

Just follow my instructions above and the image will be copied to the clipboard.  Then you can just exactly what you asked, go to windows explorer, and hit Ctrl+V where you want the image and hit Ctrl+V to paste it; that will create a new image file.

Having said that, I see an unpleasant aspect -- when you hit Ctrl+V it will create a new image file, but the image file will be called "Clipboard Image.bmp" and be in bmp format.  Wheras if you just drag it out of the Screenshot Captor thumbnail panel into a windows explorer window, it will make a copy of the file and preserve the filename and format.

I'll look into an option copying the file to the clipboard in the way that preserves filename and format.

IainB:
[...Having said that, I see an unpleasant aspect -- when you hit Ctrl+V it will create a new image file, but the image file will be called "Clipboard Image.bmp" and be in bmp format.
-mouser (August 01, 2012, 12:09 AM)
--- End quote ---
Odd. I get nothing pasted in Windows Explorer, but a .png file in xplorer².

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version