ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Windows 7 boot time woes ... anyone any ideas?

<< < (2/2)

Carol Haynes:
I have seen that article.

Because the Hibernate File must be readable by the bootloader, it must be stored on a specific sector of the hard drive, on the primary system partition.
--- End quote ---

But that is the point my primary system partition (with the boot loader) is my WD hard disk. That drive has a copy of Windows 7 Ultimate (including a hiberfil.sys). My dual boot copy is on the SSD (Win 7 Pro) but also includes a hiberfil.sys even though it isn't the "primary system partition" and therefore isn't "readable by the bootloader"

The best I can acheive is reducing the size of hiberfil.sys to 50% of memory size (by using powercfg -h on -size 50). Switching off hibernation removes the hiberfil.sys but enabling puts the copy straight back on the SSD.

Given that SSDs as the system drive are becoming more and more popular, but necessarily small capacity because of cost, it is about time MS made it possible to place the whole of pagefil.sys and hiberfil.sys somewhere separate (preferably on their own partition like linux does with its own swap file.) There is no logical reason why the boot loader can't be rewritten to include code to point to the correct location.

I know I can more pagefil.sys to another partition - but it does require a small pagefil.sys on C: to produce bugcheck dump files. I suppose with 32Gb I could simply allow a tiny pagefil.sys and not bother with any extensions on other drives.

4wd:
AFAIK, the Primary System partition is the one that contains the Windows directory of the system you are currently running on.

If you choose to boot off of the HDD based Windows, that becomes the Primary System, if you choose to boot off of the SSD based Windows, then that becomes the Primary System.

Makes perfect sense to me, after all, if you specified that the hibernate file for the SSD is on the HDD, what stops it getting overwritten if/when the HDD based Windows goes into Hibernation?

What does Disk Management show for the characteristics of the SSD when you've booted off of it?

As stated here, the bootloader doesn't have the capacity to deal with all the various drive configurations, (RAID, etc), it contains a minimalistic filesystem driver, the driver for anything more complex is contained within the hibernate file - so what do you do?

You make sure that the bootloader can load the hibernate file and to do this you put it where it's guaranteed to be able to be read - on the drive containing the current OS.

Cloq:
Honestly, I did away with the hibernate file. I hardly noticed a (boot up) speed difference. SSD is that fast.

------------------------------
Doing this fixed a number of strange issues for my laptop SSD drive (shouldn't matter what brand):

Make sure to download intel latest rst ahci drivers: Intel rst AHCI

For AMD AHCI , you may need to visit the vendors website.

------------------
Common to both AHCI platforms:

Power Management Issue LPM fix

AHCI Info SSD and AHCI

Note: If your BIOS isn't set for AHCI and you already have windows 7 installed, IDE to AHCI

Carol Haynes:
Not much point in installing an Intel AHCI driver when I am using an AMD board!

It isn't a driver problem - been using AHCI / IDE mixed system (supported by the mobo) for a couple of years without issue.

WRT getting hiberfil.sys files confused - you can only hibernate one OS at a time so using the same file shouldn't cause problems (you can use the same page file - always have done on multiboot systems)  - and even on multiboot systems you don't see the OS selection menu iof the system was hibernated - it just goes straight back to the OS that was hibernated. That is correct behaviour.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version