ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Windows 7 boot time woes ... anyone any ideas?

(1/2) > >>

Carol Haynes:
I have just added an SSD to my system and plan to move my Windows 7 installation to that drive (using a clean reinstall).

The system has multiple hard disks plus the new SSD and up until today I have had no issues with the boot process.

I bunged in the Windows 7 DVD, rebooted and installed to the new SSD drive naively assuming that Windows Setup would simply add a dual boot entry to the exist BCD database used by my old system.

That's when the boot issues started!

It reboot straight into the new version of Windows but there was no dual boot menu to boot into my old version of Windows on a hard disk.

I used BCDEDIT to rebuild the multiboot menu  and I can now access both installations.

The trouble is my BIOS points to the original harddisk as the boot device (which is what I wanted) but the new install has built a new boot setup on another irrelevant drive.

I want to keep the original drive as the boot device and ultimately make Windows on my SSD the default boot from that partition. The reason for this is that hiberfil.sys has to remain on the drive with the boot sector (according to MS) and I use a UPS that requires hibernation to be enabled. The system has 32Gb of memory so I definitely do not want hiberfil.sys on the SSD as it would eat 25% of the drive on it own.

A number of questions:

1) How can I make my original drive the source for the boot process again? It has a hidden MS 100Mb partition specifically for this but the installation process of the new version of windows ignored it and has put the Boot stuff on a Green drive which makes start up slow - also I don't want multiple bootable partitions.

2) Once I get it booting from where I want how do I ensure that the only hiberfil.sys file is on the system boot disk and not on the SSD - I read a number of articles from MS suggesting that hiberfil.sys has to be on the boo drive but even so windows has created one on the SSD anyway - wasting over 27Gb of space.

Any ideas appreciated.

MilesAhead:
I would try on this forum
http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/

Also you might consider using another boot loader that's more versatile.

The most knowledgeable people I've found where I didn't have to pay, concerning all things bootable is on this board:
http://reboot.pro/index.php?

They gave me some pointers to make a USB "boot key" that booted to the boot menu, then loaded Windows off the HD just the way the old Linux boot diskette worked. Stuff like that is hard to find just willy-nilly. :)

Carol Haynes:
Thanks Miles - actually I think I have fixed the boot up partition issue. I added an extra SATA PCIe card a while ago because I ran out of SATA sockets and didn't change the BIOS setting so I think it has been trying to boot from the wrong drive for a while and when it found it wasn't possible it defaulted to the correct drive. I have fixed the BIOS and deleted the boot loader stuff from the wrong drive and all now seems to be working.

Now all I have to figure out is how to move hiberfil.sys from C: to the boot drive. MS suggest this is the default arrangement so I can't quite see why I have a hiberfil.sys on drive C: ??? Maybe I will diable hibernation and remove that file and then reenable and see if it does what it is meant to do!

MilesAhead:
Can't help with the hibernate. I've always disabled that and sleep. I don't even run a screen saver. Seems like no matter how I set it, the saver kicks in just before I touch the keyboard. Too annoying. :)

4wd:
Now all I have to figure out is how to move hiberfil.sys from C: to the boot drive. MS suggest this is the default arrangement so I can't quite see why I have a hiberfil.sys on drive C: ??? Maybe I will diable hibernation and remove that file and then reenable and see if it does what it is meant to do!-Carol Haynes (July 29, 2012, 02:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

This answer states that the hibernate file has to live on the Primary System partition.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version