ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Ripping My DVD Collection

<< < (2/6) > >>

4wd:
Just out of curiosity, does anybody have a recommendation for what a very good (or hopefully best quality) procedure would be for ripping a commercial movie DVD for storage on a home media server to be played on a hi-def TV? I'm less concerned about file size than I am about picture and audio quality.-40hz (July 27, 2012, 09:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

Just out of curiosity, exactly how much less concerned about file size are you ?

Optimal video/audio quality will be retained by not doing any trans-coding at all, this means up to 8.5GB for dual layer DVD or 4.7GB for single layer.  ie. Ripping your DVDs to either a standard DVD folder layout or to a single MPEG program/transport stream file for the main movie.

DLNA media servers will trans-code to suit the DLNA client specifications.

The next best format, (IMO), would be MPEG4-AVC (High Profile/Film) + passthru audio, (ie. whatever audio format is on the DVD - DTS, AC3, etc), in an MKV container.

For ripping to a folder, the only program I've used for the last 5 years or so has been RipIt4Me, from there I either drop it onto VidCoder for MPEG4-AVC MKV or use VideoReDo TV Suite to create a MPEG-TS/PS.

tslim:
Just out of curiosity, does anybody have a recommendation for what a very good (or hopefully best quality) procedure would be for ripping a commercial movie DVD for storage on a home media server to be played on a hi-def TV? I'm less concerned about file size than I am about picture and audio quality.
-40hz (July 27, 2012, 09:19 PM)
--- End quote ---
IMHO, if quality is your utmost concern, then ripping without video conversion is the key.

Why not you rip your DVDs with DVDFab into ISO files, by doing so, you will have zero loss in quality. To play any of the ripped movie, just mount its ISO with either Deamon or Alcohol 52% (both are free), then play the movie as though you are playing the original DVD.

wraith808:
Just out of curiosity, does anybody have a recommendation for what a very good (or hopefully best quality) procedure would be for ripping a commercial movie DVD for storage on a home media server to be played on a hi-def TV? I'm less concerned about file size than I am about picture and audio quality.
-40hz (July 27, 2012, 09:19 PM)
--- End quote ---
IMHO, if quality is your utmost concern, then ripping without video conversion is the key.

Why not you rip your DVDs with DVDFab into ISO files, by doing so, you will have zero loss in quality. To play any of the ripped movie, just mount its ISO with either Deamon or Alcohol 52% (both are free), then play the movie as though you are playing the original DVD.

-tslim (July 28, 2012, 06:19 AM)
--- End quote ---

I wouldn't use Daemon Tools anymore- not only is it no longer free, but it's packaged with stuff that makes it not so free.

https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=29940.0

While true, you can disable this- the fact that it is enabled by default (and now costs money) makes me go elsewhere.  A good free one is MagicDisk from the same people that make MagicISO.

Also, one reason not to do this is if you aren't using a media pc - most tvs that allow you to connect to Media Servers don't support mounting ISOs or BINs AFAIK.

skwire:
As 4wd and tslim have mentioned, if space is not a concern, just rip straight to ISO format.  FWIW, my Boxee boxes will play an ISO file just like the actual DVD, i.e., menus and all.  No extra mounting required, either.

wraith808:

I just found out that my media player supports ISOs.  But I guess having 100s of DVDs to burn, I couldn't put all of them in that format.  That would be a lot of space.

...at least, that's what I'll keep telling myself. :(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version