topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 5:18 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: In search of ... cookie viewer w/create date  (Read 6546 times)

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
In search of ... cookie viewer w/create date
« on: July 27, 2012, 04:29 PM »
Folk,

I'm a bit embarrassed to ask, since I can so seldom contribute, but I've got another dilemma  :o.

I need to find a universal, i.e., works with most/all browsers, cookie viewer application that shows, as well as expiration date, the date the cookie was installed on a particular system.  I've looked here and online, but nothing quite seems to fill that particular bill  :-\.

As an example, we want to see all cookies that were added during today's browsings (a time stamp would be nice, but prolly too much to expect).  Or, maybe, all cookies that were written last week.

I've tried several, Cookie Spy and the late Karen Kenworthy's Cookie Viewer being the last couple.  Most all of 'em do a fine job of showing origin, content, expiration, and the like, but none that I've tried to date list creation date.

Do any of you know of such a beastie?  

(While I'm at it, is there a way to consistently redirect new cookies to a specified location?  Never really thought about that before.)

(If we cannot find this soon, I may have to commission one (1)  :-\.)

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: In search of ... cookie viewer w/create date
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 07:29 PM »
You could try Cookie Jar (for Firefox): http://cookie-jar.software.informer.com/
(I've not tried it out myself, but I might after this. It's shareware for $24.95.)
From the link:
Cookie Jar is a utility program to examine the contents of the cookie files on your computer. It can show you the cookies that have been set by web sites you have visited with your browser and allow you too see the details contained inside them. You can view, edit and even delete unwanted cookies. Shows when cookies were created and when they will expire.

(By the way, I found this quite quickly by googling "cookie analyzer", and then exploring the results and associated links and reading people's reviews. There seems to be quite a lot of software - FREE and otherwise - for cookie management and analysis out there.)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 07:34 PM by IainB »

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 07:44 PM »
Already did.  Cookie Jar shows a list of cookies, which you can ban, allow, or remain undecided.  No dates whatsoever, nor does it show content  :down:

(I really liked that about Karen's product, but while it'll install and load, it doesn't know where to look on Win7.)

Just tried Cookie Monster:  won't run, thinks Firefox is open, must be terminated with a task manager  :down:.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 07:48 PM »
Cookies Manager+ for firefox will show creation date and allow you to view and edit the content of cookies and various other details.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 08:03 PM »
As you've mentioned, Cookie Spy appears to be the only complete cross-browser program, why not send them a suggestion for the creation date?

You didn't mention LSOws either.

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 08:19 PM »
E-e-e-e-e ... Cookies Manager + doesn't seem work that way on my system ... no creation date.  (I thimk I have it configured properly  :-\.)  If I could get it to work, that would be a good start, but we need something external that would encompass all/most browsers ... at least the mainstream browsers  :-\.

When we started this, I thought it would be the very essence of simplicity ... I've been reeducated in that respect  :(.

As to the LSOs, Flash Cookie Cleaner, Flash Cookies View, and Flash Cookie Remover seem to work well enough.  I'd love to see something that would incorporate all cookies, regardless the source, but, suspect that would border on being a major programming project .  That's gonna be expensive if I have to commission someone to build it  >:( :(.

I'll see if the Cookie Spy folk might be amenable to an addendum.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2012, 11:59 PM »
Cookies Manager + doesn't seem work that way on my system ... no creation date.

if i remember correctly, it is a little tricky to get it to show creation date in the grid; there is a tiny button on far right of header to let you toggle the columns to show.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2012, 06:52 AM »
-mouser is correct:

2012-07-28_134920.gif

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2012, 03:10 PM »
Ack!  Found it, thanks both of ya.  Old eyes  :(.

That works rather nicely ... now to try to find a standalone that'll do the same for at least the mainstream browsers  :huh:.

I noticed two (2) things that are problematic, at least from within the browser:
  • some cookies keep replicating as long as the browser is open
  • some cookies simply cannot be deleted (but haven't checked for LSOs for them yet

Ah, well, back to the hunt ...

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2012, 05:03 PM »
-after installing Cookies Manager + I had several problems; not being able to open pages, view photos, etcetera. I removed it, and the problems went away.

x16wda

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • what am I doing in this handbasket?
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2012, 07:06 PM »
  • some cookies simply cannot be deleted (but haven't checked for LSOs for them yet

aside: You may be able to kill those nasties with Bleachbit (here), although that's not what you're asking for here...
vi vi vi - editor of the beast