ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

better than using an unistaller? Altiris SVS

<< < (4/5) > >>

Baseman:
VMware is what I use for testing new apps and it does not affect your host OS and programs...It sure is the way to go especially if your'e unsure of the apps your'e testing...It's the way to go...  :up:

moerl:
I want to install Altiris but it simply won't work. I got the 2.0 personal edition both from the PCMag article and from here. When I start the installer it works just fine and I get through the first three steps.. but the moment I click the NEXT button that is supposed to start the actual file-copying and all, the installer window just disappears and nothing else happens. No error message, no warning, no nothing. Maybe I'm not running a required service or something? What's up?

I REALLY want to install this :(

moerl:
Just found a great article for the curious. In case you're wondering what this thing is all about, check this out: http://blog.pcmag.com/blogs/miller/archive/2006/04/03/865.aspx

It's incredible how lively the community behind this tool is. There's a whole blog dedicated to it with all sorts of useful information. I'm trying to find help there for my problem now... http://juice.altiris.com/svs

moerl:
I finally was able to install SVS and fell in love with it. It's pretty amazing! Applications installed into virtual layers perform, as far as I can tell, equally fast and well as applications actually installed to the system. It really is impressive. I still have a lot of testing to do, but so far I just love it :)

skywalka:
After installing Altiris SVS I was decompressing some archives with WinRar's rightclick option.  A few decompressed succesfully but 1 was corrupt & 1 exceeded the 256 maximum character length.  Windows informed me that WinRar had encountered an error & would be closed.  A folder was still created by these 2 failed decompressions.

When I browsed both of  these folders, at the bottom of the extracted path was a replication of my C drive including the few files in the root & the subfolders of the root.  The subfolders were all empty.

I didn't want to take a chance with my system so rather than troubleshoot any further I uninstalled SVS & rebooted.  I browsed back to the bottom of the failed extraction paths & the directory structure mimicking the root of my C drive is gone & replaced by some correctly extracted files.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version