ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Microsoft OneNote - some experiential Tips & Tricks

<< < (39/41) > >>

IainB:
Interesting real-world comparison of typical OCR quality in OneNote v. ABBY SR (Screenshot Reader): (text from the image is in the spoiler below the image)

SpoilerText selected, OCRed and copied to Clipboard using ABBY SR (Screenshot Reader) and as pasted:
   (areas with errors highlighted)
   PHONE 09 302 0608
   fHANKS POR SHOPPING WITH US
   GST NO. 53-638-449
   25/08/201/ 16:2/ 000000*3648
   0001 WY
   1> 29.50
   BAMiRIES $29.50
   CASH
   \>2S 50

The pasted output is usable AS-IS, with minimal manual corrections needed.

Already OCRed and searchable text in OneNote selected and copied to Clipboard using OneNote tool and as pasted:
   (areas with errors highlighted)
   PHONE 09 30?
   THANKS FOR SHOPPING WITH US
   NO. 53-638-449
   000000#364d
   25/08/2011 1b: 21

THANKS FOR SHOPPING WITH US
   GST NO 53 - 638- 449

25 08 2017 16:27 000000 # 36 48

1 X 29 50
   BATTERIES
   $29 50

CASH $ 29 50

0001 WY

29. bo
   BATTERIES

CASH

$29.50

IainB:
I had a discussion in the Personal Message area of DCF, about OneNote and PIMs. I figured a lot of it could be of common interest, so I have duplicated some of the post here:

You say (**1): "I'm still searching for the best PIM system.", but I'm not so sure that there is a "best" one. What I perceive is that there are lots of different good ones, of which a few may meet your needs/requirements - e.g., (say) Lotus Agenda, ConnectedText, TreeProjects, InfoSelect, OneNote.
For example, a criterion you have (like me) is (**2) a preference for a local desktop-based app + database, so, all of the above PIMs could potentially meet that criterion, and so on.

You say (**3): "I like having the occasional cloud alternative/option.", and so do I. OneNote seems to fit that bill pretty well, but you could also use the technology available to turn your non-Cloud desktop-based app and database into a sort of Cloud-backed service. For example, I use MEGAsync, which has a 50GB free starter package. I have put all my music media files into a MEGA Cloud drive, that appears as a folder on my C: drive, and which is continually syncing with the Cloud-based files. I used to hold all those music media files in a directory C:\Workdata.007 (Media 1), but I moved them from there to the MEGA folder (i.e., and to the Cloud). I then set up a Reparse Point to that MEGA folder, and named it C:\Workdata.007 (Media 1), so that became a virtual folder. My music media players and audio and MP3 Tag editing software have always used that folder name as their Library and they continue to do so. Any edits/writes to that virtual folder or its files are reflected in the MEGA folder and synced  to the Cloud whenever I choose to connect.
I have done something similar with several other applications, including the PIM InfoSelect, syncing their databases and the application itself to OneDrive. This was where I discovered that OneDrive is insecure in that Microsoft will sometimes delete some executable files in the apps, if they don't like the file(s) for whatever reason - so they're only good/reliable for data storage, and even that is not certain, unless its one of their apps - e.g., (say) OneNote. Long live encrypted sync à la MEGAsync!

You say (**4): "In the coming months I'm going be working on a project and I'm considering using it as an opportunity to seriously try out Microsoft Onenote."
Whilst you are at it, I would suggest that you also try out TreeProjects:
 * http://www.rgdot.com/bl/2011/09/11/smereka-treeprojects-powerful-personal-database/
 * http://personaldatabase.org/

Now, regarding encryption and security, here's an interesting thing: Telegram
(https://telegram.org/)
Telegram is FREE for all use. It requires a smartphone to use. Like LINE, it just uses your phone number as a base ID, but that's where the similarity stops. You can use it on any number of devices, and you can also use it on a PC as a desktop app.
You could copy media files, data files, app files - any files - into what's called a Channel (in the Telegram Cloud), and it's stored there, fully encrypted and preserved intact for as long as you want. You could do that from the Telegram desktop app, then Access your Telegram account and that Channel from another PC using the Telegram desktop app, or from a smartphone using your Telegram app/ID. When you try to access the files saved to a given Channel, if those files are not already stored on the device (smartphone or PC) that you are using, then they are downloaded from the Channel, to that device. The potential is mind-blowing, and people are already taking advantage of that potential. You could, for example, (say) backup your OneNote Notebooks to the Telegram Cloud that way... and if you wanted to give a person (or persons) access to a particular OneNote Notebook, then you could let them have read access to that backup in the relevant Telegram Channel...

You say (**5): "The prospect that Microsoft might be phasing out the cloudless version of Onenote does have me a little bit wary about trying it out.", and you also consider using OneNote from an old copy of MS Office 2013.

* Evernote killed off their rather good desktop app, focused on a Cloud-only business revenue strategy and stuck to it - though I suspect they probably could have regretted it since. It could have been a cash-cow for them.
* In Microsoft's case, they would seem to be decidedly NOT a Cloud-only business and have many examples of where their software continues for ages, or is responsibly and gracefully sunsetted (and even kept backwards compatible in the Windows 10 OS) - the most recent being, I think, Microsoft Money Plus Sunset
* I would recommend a wait-and-see approach regarding OneNote. Trial/use it anyway. It seems unlikely that it will be killed off for several years yet.
A licence for MS Office 2019 Plus is available relatively cheaply - e.g., here.
* It was possible to get MS Office 2016 Plus relatively cheaply, but I am unsure if it is still available - e.g., here.
* As regards using MS Office 2013, I wouldn't recommend it as the OneNote functionality would be kludgy - it has been vastly improved on since, in ON 2016.

IainB:
Just as a basis for making some comparisons, this is a useful Wikipedia reference: Comparison of notetaking software

It's not an exhaustive list by any means, but it is worth a look.

IainB:
Bit of interesting history of OneNote here. I saved the webpages to .mhtml files:
2004-01-30 OneNote genesis – Chris Pratley's Office Labs and OneNote Blog.mhtml
https://web.archive.org/web/20170327080319/https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/chris_pratley/2004/01/30/onenote-genesis/

2006-07-12 Microsoft OneNote 2003 « Later On.mhtml
https://web.archive.org/web/20111207225115/http://leisureguy.wordpress.com/2006/07/12/microsoft-onenote-2003/

sphere:
Onenote 2016 vs Onenote 2019 vs DesktopApp

I am interested in securing another copy of Onenote (desktop application) before the only version that is available is the Win 10 OS Desktop version ( included free in Windows 10).  Since Microsoft is discontinuing the development of the standalone Onenote software (2013, 2016 and so on) app I am trying to figure out the best option.  My understanding is that the Free Onenote Desktop App that is included with Windows 10 does not allow local saving. It saves to the cloud by default and caches locally so that users can work offline.  If I am wrong about this please let me know.  I am not interested in my notebooks being hosted on Microsoft's cloud.  I also have been told that the version of OneNote contained in MS Office 2019 is actually just OneNote 2016 as there development focused on the free OneNote app included with Win 10.    I will likely get it bundled with Microsoft Office so I have access to the other office programs before everything moves towards a subscription service.   

My understanding is that there are 3 versions of OneNote for Windows: 

1) One Note Standalone or bundled wing Ms Office version 2011, 2013, 2016
2) Free Onenote Desktop App included with Win 10 OS
3) Onenote as it is included with MS Office 365, which I believe offers different versions based on the subscription service.

I am leaning away from 365 as it is a subscription service that can have its offerings changed on a whim and 356  nags/bullies users as MS sees fit.  It seems like purchasing a copy of Office 2016 or Office 2019 would be the best, but I would be interested in hearing other people's thoughts???   I have read, but have not been able to confirm, that the version of OneNote in MS office 2019 is just OneNote 2016 as they did not develop it.   As I have mentioned being able to save locally is important to me.   I also really like OneNote's ability to LOCALLY index audio and video and images making them searchable.

Further complicating this decision is my lack of understanding about how Win 10 handles the installation of an older version of OneNote with the free OneNote app?  Does one have both versions after installing an older version? I have read some places that Widows defaults to the Free included app if you install MS Office 2019 as the version on Win 10 is more recent than the version included with MS Office 2019. I am currently using win 7, but imagine I might change that before Jan 2020 when win 7 will no longer receive security updates.   I have read that ONe Note 2016 will have security updates until 2025.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
thank you

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version