ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Microsoft OneNote - some experiential Tips & Tricks

<< < (37/41) > >>

Dormouse:
excessive prices that Microsoft charge.
--- End quote ---
now they have become even more greedy than they were previously.
--- End quote ---
‘Software as a Sentence‘.
--- End quote ---

OneNote was never a very good solution to note taking,
--- End quote ---
There is also Ultra Recall, WhizFolders, TreeDBnotes, The Brain and 3D Topicscape. I can’t recommend any of these for a variety of different reasons, but they are all better than Microsoft OneNote.
--- End quote ---
So help to promote more diversity in the software marketplace, switch to a non-Microsoft solution today!

#DeleteMicrosoft
--- End quote ---
Seems that he doesn't like Microsoft! (or OneNote)
May well be FUD. Doesn't sound like he had a conversation with Support.

Unfortunately the version of SaaS they have chosen is a very pernicious one, if you stop paying the rent the program stops working completely. In other words they are holding your documents and files hostage against your future payments.
--- End quote ---
I don't think that you lose access to documents or files.

I also don't think that the Office365 price is excessive.
In the UK I can buy a 5 computer licence for between £50 and £60 from Amazon which can last 13 months (by switching to automatic renewal which you then turn off to enter your new annual code). And that also gives you 1TB storage. I can remember the prices that Bill Gates charged.

OneNote has a tagging system but it is designed in such a way that if you have more than about 30 or 40 tags then it starts to become unusable.
--- End quote ---
Have to agree with this, but it is only one of many deficiencies in the OneNote tagging system.

Microsoft Word has a very good, well designed and easy to use outlining mode and once you have finished organising your document you can go back to the normal mode and concentrate on the formatting and presentation of your document.  But at any time you can switch back to the outline mode and re-organise/re-arrange things.  As an outliner Word is hard to beat.
--- End quote ---
Certainly better than it was, but 'hard to beat?'

wraith808:
I don't think that you lose access to documents or files.

I also don't think that the Office365 price is excessive.
In the UK I can buy a 5 computer licence for between £50 and £60 from Amazon which can last 13 months (by switching to automatic renewal which you then turn off to enter your new annual code). And that also gives you 1TB storage. I can remember the prices that Bill Gates charged.
-Dormouse (May 18, 2018, 08:03 AM)
--- End quote ---

You don't, and I agree it's quite good, and agree that the price isn't exorbitant.

IainB:
If they don't come out and say so directly, then time will tell whatever Microsoft's marketing strategies are intending to do.
What I had noticed was that the ability to unlock and use some newly-updated/developed nifty MS Office functionality had sometimes been predicated on the user migrating from earlier versions of Windows to Windows 10 and/or OneDrive.
In other words, there was (apparently deliberately) no backwards compatibility, but it did not threaten to invalidate  existing licences. I had thought that this was probably nothing more than an incentive to urge users to the newer OS, but still, it did seem to smack of coercion and making existing/old licences seem to be obsolete.
@tomos: Well, if what is described in the article is correct - i.e., that is what MS are actually doing or intending - then it would seem to be a form of "price gouging", which is illegal in some countries. It will be interesting to see how the governments in those countries view the actions of MS in regard to MS Office licencing in light of prevailing consumer protection regulations.
-IainB (May 16, 2018, 03:30 PM)
--- End quote ---
The post I quoted from may be incorrect.
Defeating existing/old MS Office licences would seem to be going a bit far and thus would seem to be unlikely. Nevertheless, one never knows, so I would still bear that in mind as a potential caveat.

wraith808:
What I had noticed was that the ability to unlock and use some newly-updated/developed nifty MS Office functionality had sometimes been predicated on the user migrating from earlier versions of Windows to Windows 10 and/or OneDrive.
In other words, there was (apparently deliberately) no backwards compatibility, but it did not threaten to invalidate  existing licences. I had thought that this was probably nothing more than an incentive to urge users to the newer OS, but still, it did seem to smack of coercion and making existing/old licences seem to be obsolete.
-IainB (May 19, 2018, 11:55 AM)
--- End quote ---

Understanding programming and features in .NET, it could be perfectly valid based on features being available in supporting versions of the framework that weren't available in older operating systems and supporting programs.  They can't be expected to support old versions of their software forever.

IainB:
In Microsoft's favour, there may be recent history that would seem to indicate that Microsoft does consider support for backwards compatibility in Windows 10, for older/legacy software.
Significantly, even for "Sunset" products, for example:
A few days ago, the MS Money user forums were buzzing about how Win10 had disabled MS Money - when MS Money started up, it suddenly stopped and said it needed IE6 to be installed.
(For those as might not know it, MS Money uses IE as its primary UI.)

When my MS Money (Sunset version) failed on this error, I clicked the "Send Error Report" button.

[Image of error message panel not copied to this quote]

Reading the forums, a workaround to the problem was soon discovered. A good description of the problem and the workaround is here: Windows 10 Compatibility with Microsoft Money | Ameridan's Microsoft Money Offline Weblog

However, following a Win10 update today, MS Money is now working perfectly again.
Kudos to MS for fairly swift action on this. I don't know whether the error was a bug, or if it only affected MS Money, but the effect of fixing it seems to indicate that MS is listening and just might be aware of the need to support this and other legacy applications in Win10.

I am cross-posting this to Microsoft Money Plus Sunset - Mini-Review
-IainB (August 13, 2015, 09:07 AM)
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version