ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Microsoft OneNote - some experiential Tips & Tricks

<< < (35/41) > >>

IainB:
@dantheman: Yes, well I sometimes cringe at my own ignorance.

IainB:
Cross-posted: Resetting the paste formatting defaults:
Fix for when ON users find that pasting images into ON causes the images to be small (resized).
...When I use SC in the way you describe, the captured image pastes perfectly into ON. So I don't experience the problem as you do and cannot replicate it.
I am using ON 2016.

However, after doing some searching, I discovered that the problem you describe seems to be longstanding, and common. For example:
How can we improve OneNote for Windows?
? OneNote for Windows & Windows phone

Keep image size when pasting an image
Keep image size when pasting an image to a notebook. Right now we have to right-click and "restore to original size" on every image.
Darryl shared this idea  ·  Mar 21, 2017  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…
Jeff Roback commented  ·  September 19, 2017 2:26 PM  ·  Flag as inappropriate
I agree.... I do a lot of screenshots in my work and having to click restore to original size for every single one is making me consider using another program for notes after over 10 years in onenote!
Brian Cargnelli commented  ·  March 24, 2017 2:34 PM  ·  Flag as inappropriate
I use OneNote in my photography classes to upload completed projects. I ask students to resize their images to 800X800 at 72 DPI resolution and have created a table with one column and multiple rows to paste these images into. However the images all get resized smaller and as the post says, I have to right click each one and restore to original size. This small problem actually is very frustrating as if the student has 20 images for review then that is 20 times I have to do this for this one student, times 30-40 in each class.
Copied from: Keep image size when pasting an image - Welcome to OneNote and Sticky Notes Suggestion Portal! - <https://onenote.uservoice.com/forums/327186-onenote-for-windows-windows-phone/suggestions/18676150-keep-image-size-when-pasting-an-image>

--- End quote ---

I came across this possible solution:
(The text is copied into the spoiler below the image.)

SpoilerResetting the paste formatting defaults:
1. Copy several words to clipboard: e.g., This is a test
   - Right-click somewhere on a OneNote page.
   - Under Paste Options, select the first icon --> Keep Source Formatting (K).
   - This pastes the clipboard contents to OneNote (happens when you select Keep Source Formatting (K). ).

This will paste: This is a test
2. Select the little drop-down menu that appears next to the pasted text:

3. Select "Set as Default Paste":

4. Try to copy/paste an image again.
     (The as-copied formatting should persist on pasting, without resizing.)
      Copied from: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/b5c41b3a-1b92-41de-af48-830f72a88fc9/onenote-2013-cannot-paste-images?forum=officeitpro

-IainB (March 20, 2018, 05:33 PM)
--- End quote ---

IainB:
EDIT 2018-04-18 0836hrs: Just updated the OP to better reflect and introduce what this discussion thread has developed into.

I was prompted to do this after someone - not a DCF member - telling me how they had stumbled upon this thread and how useful/informative they had found it.

IainB:
I started to have a discussion offline about OneNote, but I realised it might be worth recording it here, as it could be of interest to others. It's between me and someone I shall call "Frank":

On the subject of webpage copying:

* I have searched the Internet for years to find something that makes a decent copy of web pages, for archive/library reference purposes.
The best I had found was the Firefox add-on Scrapbook.
More recently, I found Zotero.
Nothing else seems to come close.
They are both very good indeed.
Then I discovered that they both use the same engine:WebPageDump <http://www.dbai.tuwien.ac.at/user/pollak/webpagedump/>
(Details partially copied below and with just the download file embedded hyperlinks.)
-IainB (March 17, 2016, 11:16 AM)
--- End quote ---

* WizNote: Superb web page copying (and editable too), but I had the same qualms as you re Cloud-based and security, so do not use it. By the way, I did a review of WizNote on the DC Forum:
 WizNote (a PIM from China) - Mini-Review + Provisional User Forum.

* See also comments here: Re: flamory <https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=41879.msg392045#msg392045>

* OneNote is not very good for webpage capture/viewing, but is good for partial webpage clips.

* Wezinc could have been almost exactly what I was looking for as a PIM, though it's performance for webpage copying was unreliable - it would occasionally miss some parts of pages. It also did rather nifty relationship mind-maps. I was a Beta tester for Wezinc and was disappointed when the developer seemed to just shut down without notice. Maybe he was ill/died. If you wanted it, I have the last Beta version that he provided to me. It was never published on his website, so it'd not be in Wayback.

* Zotero remains current and supported and thus arguably the "best" proprietary option left by default.

* .mhtml copies of webpages is probably the most "open" and non-proprietary way to go at present, under the circumstances, so that is where I have gone. This has the advantage of providing webpage copies  that are self-contained single files that are  readable by various browsers and able to be indexed by WDS (Windows Desktop Search and GDS (Google Desktop Search) - the latter still being fully functional and best-in-class by default. Web pages saved by Scrapbook are also indexable by WDS/GDS, and are easily viewable if one goes to the index.html file for each Scrapbook page. This is of course a pain, but I have not yet figured out a way to batch convert the thousands of Scrapbooked web pages I have in my library (together with their nested lower levels and any embedded files).
On the subject of audio index/search + privacy/security concerns:

* (Frank): I too remember my mind being blown when I discovered that ON had this ability [indexing of identified words in audio files]. However, I have refrained from using it because of the hurdles I mentioned AND my hope was that OCR and Audio indexing would become available in the opensource landscape. It has, but only as web services.
--- End quote ---

* IainB response: If you are using ON on client-based notebooks, then the notebooks are processed in isolation on the client (i.e., not in the Cloud), by audio analysis and OCR capture software functionality in the client app., and, whilst it is processing, there is no chitchat or "phoning home" between client and Cloud, and (for paranoia belts and braces) ON can be easily blocked at the Firewall, anyway (I use Windows Firewall Control to manage this). Also, don't forget that Notebooks or individual pages within Notebooks can be locked/encrypted. (Woe betide you if you forget/lose the key.)
On the subject of automation of functionality (e.g., tagging, search) in the database:

* (Frank) I still think that it would be possible to automate these things. Something like ultrarecall with indexing or an AI or machine learning back end. While tagging is very important, I want to spend less time processing the information I collect and more time digesting and doing interesting things with it.
--- End quote ---

* IainB response: Automation of sophisticated tagging is possible and has been for years - just not in OneNote or any other of the current clutch pf PIMs (that I am aware of). The technology for this seems to be difficult to implement however, using conventional database design methods. The assumption implicit in what you write is that the database would need to be stored and processed within the microcosm of a self-contained proprietary database system. This would be a conventional approach.

* My guess is that, in ON, the conventional approach of a single (probably relational) database would seem to have been superseded by default and by design, by Microsoft, presumably in the interests of simplicity and efficiency. The database is now comprised of the structured collection of OneNote's .one files/folders stored on the hard drive (or SSD), and the processing is being/can be done by a suite of ON client-based apps able to operate on those files. To a greater extent, that describes what ON is/does. To do this, ON would need to also be maintaining a local database of pointers to the location of the data held in these files - e.g., hyperlinking.

* Thus, the entire database would consist of two major components (database stores):

* the largest volume of data - the data itself (objects} - held in an integrated, structured collection of discrete .one files/folders, on disk,
* a smaller volume of data  - indexes/pointers - held in a proprietary database of pointers to the locations of the data held in these files.
This would seem to be redolent of the design patent for Lotus Agenda - US Patent US5115504 - Information management system which defined:
Two DATA structures:

* FILE .AGA:
  - CATEGORY OBJECTS
  - ITEM OBJECTS [NB: in Lotus Agenda, ITEM objects could be optionally saved externally to disk, as discrete text files).
  - GENEOLOGY OBJECTS
  - VIEW OBJECTS

* FILE .AGB:
  - LINK STRUCTURES

* The ON notebooks consist of discrete page files with a .one extension (suffix). This not only makes them accessible at the file level (e.g., for WDS/GDS indexing and search), but also means that updates to a Notebook only involve single pages (files), so file read/write access is greatly simplified and does not require updating a whole database. Similarly, in the case of online (cloud-based) Notebooks, file data traversal/transmission is required only for those small files as and when they are actually updated, so bandwidth is kept to a bare minimum, leading to speedy/efficient updates of Cloud-based files as and when they are edited/changed.
On the subject of Tagging:

* Tagging in ON is pretty restrictive and manual/tedious, having to be done to information items individually or by groups within a page only. Microsoft probably could have implemented a much more useful and sophisticated form of automated tagging in the design, if they had wanted to, à la Lotus Agenda.

* In Lotus Agenda, tagging was done through the use of a semi-hierarchical tree of CATEGORIES. These CATEGORIES were effectively what we might call "tags" today, and they had selectable properties - they could be treated variously as, for example, strict hierarchies in places where you wanted that (with normal Parent-Child inheritance properties), with mutually exclusive categories, or multiple/inclusive categories, and some special categories could have Condition/Action properties (e.g., trigger an alarm at a certain date/time), or be numerical strings, alpha strings, or alpha-meric strings. Tags could be manually assigned on an individual or mass group selective basis, or automatically and dynamically assigned/reassigned to ITEMS, depending on certain conditions of the set/changed data in any given ITEM.

* This was incredibly flexible, but it had a steep learning curve, which might have explained why Lotus Agenda was reputedly not a great seller.

Tuxman:
Ew: OneNote (the non-UWP application) is discontinued.
https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Office-365-Blog/The-best-version-of-OneNote-on-Windows/ba-p/183974

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version