ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Microsoft OneNote - some experiential Tips & Tricks

<< < (23/41) > >>

David1904:
is there a way to control the container of a note?  they are too big.  i keep trying to create new notes around existing notes, and especially below them, the software assumes i'm adding to the existing note, and the margin extends a good 3-4 lines below the content.  i want the container to end pretty close to where the content is.   i don't want all that space, it is very annoying.
-superboyac (March 08, 2016, 02:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

A double click with the mouse should force a new note to open - although you will still need to leave one line after the previous text.

IainB:
Wait, that is also possible? Could you elaborate on how to do it? I just did a quick search online, but it seems it is only possible for audio and video recorded by OneNote?
-Attronarch (March 09, 2016, 01:18 PM)
--- End quote ---
Yes. For example in ON 2007, refer: Searching for information in audio notes in OneNote.
And it's been improved since then (I'm using ON2016 now).
So, no, it is NOT "... only possible for audio and video recorded by OneNote".
Drop an audio talk in an MP3 file into a OneNote Note and play a bit of it.
Make sure you have search audio set to ON in Options  | Audio & Video.
It might take a short while, but you will then be able to use WDS and ON Search to locate decipherable spoken words in the audio (or video) clips. And it's not just MP3 files for audio either. I recall that there are several audio file types it can cope with.
Find out by experimentation.

IainB:
is there a way to control the container of a note?  they are too big.  i keep trying to create new notes around existing notes, and especially below them, the software assumes i'm adding to the existing note, and the margin extends a good 3-4 lines below the content.  i want the container to end pretty close to where the content is.   i don't want all that space, it is very annoying.
-superboyac (March 08, 2016, 02:57 PM)
--- End quote ---
A double click with the mouse should force a new note to open - although you will still need to leave one line after the previous text.
-David1904 (March 09, 2016, 01:53 PM)
--- End quote ---
@superboyac: You ask "is there a way to control the container of a note?". The answer is YES. It's all draggable and resizeable you see.
Experiment.
Try to break it.
Also try out using table cells as sub-containers. I do that a lot because the Containers are too flexible and keep changing to accommodate new or changing text in the notes. The table cells behave differently and are more precisely controllable and less likely to expand automatically. The Container walls can set hard boundaries for table cells.

(Sorry if any duplication. I thought I'd already posted this comment - or something like it - but I can't find it. Maybe I forgot to press "Post" or maybe I posted it to another discussion thread by mistake.)

superboyac:
i am loving onenote so far, it's been several weeks now.  I am now basically committing to slowly moving my other notes into onenote.  thanks Iainb for making me revisit this...i think i had thoroughly dismissed it in recent years.

Tuxman:
The article also includes a link to: in-depth comparison of OneNote vs. Evernote, which might help to answer some of the questions posed by others in this discussion thread.
-IainB (March 06, 2016, 08:29 AM)
--- End quote ---

After six five-and-a-fourth years of Evernote, the last thing that sticks me to Evernote is Geeknote which is awesome. I must admit that OneNote is inviting, even the Android app pretty much rocks now. It's just that all of my things are already on Evernote.

Of course, I could use a combination of org-mode and OneNote to achieve the Geeknote features, but that would surely not make things easier.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version