ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Microsoft OneNote - some experiential Tips & Tricks

<< < (21/41) > >>

Dormouse:
Using multiple platforms, and mostly not being on my desktop, has heavily reduced the number of options I have. Simpler is generally better than complex because I can make it work anywhere.

I tend to use Evernote most because it works well and similarly whatever the platform. OneNote doesn't, so I will use it on the desktop/laptop and add to notebooks when I am on on other platforms. But unless I am already using OneNote for something, I'll just use Evernote.

Pretty much the opposite of a card index system. I bung everything in and search for stuff I need later.  Tag only when I need, and practically never when I put stuff in.

I might use OneNote more on the desktop but have always found it quirky and taking time to work out when it isn't obvious how to make it do something I want. Much less of an issue in other programs.

superboyac:
ok...thanks IainB for all the explanations.

What is the status of being able using Onenote in a completely on-premise type situation?  No cloud storage, other than for temporary transferring back and forth.  I have an online MS account, but I don't want to use it for my notes.  I can use an enterprise local onenote/sharepoint setup for syncing onenote across all devices, right?

There seems to be an issue with this for onenote 2013, from some things I've read on the web.  However, I also came across a comment from a MS onenote employee who said that on-premise syncing will be coming in office 2016.  But does that mean it's not currently available?  I find that odd, as I imagine a lot of companies want their stuff handled locally.

IainB:
@superboyac:
What is the status of being able using Onenote in a completely on-premise type situation?  No cloud storage, other than for temporary transferring back and forth.  I have an online MS account, but I don't want to use it for my notes.  I can use an enterprise local onenote/sharepoint setup for syncing onenote across all devices, right?

--- End quote ---
Sorry, I can't really help you there as I have no experience of using device sharing to a SharePoint server. I guess it should work, though the proof is in the pudding.
Same goes for your other Qs.

IainB:
Not from my experience, but this article could be useful: 7 Little-Known OneNote Features You Will Love

I have not used OneNote's Version History (!), so found the reference to that as the 7th feature rather interesting. It looks like it could be a potentially incredibly useful feature.   :-[

The article also includes a link to: in-depth comparison of OneNote vs. Evernote, which might help to answer some of the questions posed by others in this discussion thread.

superboyac:
is there a way to control the container of a note?  they are too big.  i keep trying to create new notes around existing notes, and especially below them, the software assumes i'm adding to the existing note, and the margin extends a good 3-4 lines below the content.  i want the container to end pretty close to where the content is.   i don't want all that space, it is very annoying.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version