ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Microsoft OneNote - some experiential Tips & Tricks

<< < (18/41) > >>

dantheman:
Exactly!
CliptoOnenote works just fine in Firefox (for me) whereas the "official" one for Chrome just does like a photocopy, no active hyperlinks.

IainB:
@dantheman:
It looks like you probably need to tell the extension to collect the URLs, as it does not do so by default.

I had never used the OneNote Clipper Chrome extension provided by Microsoft, so I just now fired up Google Chrome "Canary" (the Beta channel version) and installed the OneNote Clipper extension.
Then I went to the page: chrome://extensions/ and scrolled down till I found the extension description listed there, and then checked/ticked the box at the bottom of the extension description where it says "Allow access to file URLs", and it worked just fine regardless of whether you used the Clipper to get a screenshot image of that whole webpage, or just the image of a selected area of the webpage, or just the rough RTF text (sans images) of the article on that webpage.

I must say the extension for Chrome seems to work very nicely - pity they don't provide one for Firefox like that! (They provide a cruddy bookmarklet instead, which uses Java, and it doesn't work on my installation of Firefox.)
I presume the reasoning is that the Clipper tool is specifically only issued to save clippings to the default Quick Notes section of the Cloud-based "Notebook" they provide for "FREE"** - so you have to login to your Outlook account before it can capture clips. I have mentioned elsewhere that IMHO that seems to be a cynical marketing ploy and I wouldn't recommend it as the cloud-based app has very little useful functionality. It's a "teaser".

The only really useful OneNote is the one where you have the full-blown OneNote app installed on the PC client, as delivered with the MS Office suite of proggies. With that you can put your Notebooks all in the Cloud environment, or all on the client PC environment, or distributed across both. I mention that above, and that I have some concerns regarding the apparently high potential for corrupted Cloud-based Notebooks - as discovered by myself and many other users. Reading about the user problems/issues with OneNote, as described on the discussion forums, is quite an eye-opener.

**If you have the full MS Office installed, then  you can specify in OneNote whatever default sections you want set for clippings to be sent to, on whichever environment. However, these settings can not override the fixed settings of the Clipper tool as released for the "FREE" OneNote. Rather confusing.

dantheman:
Ya, Microsoft does have that habit of confusing us (Hotmail to Live to Outlook...).
Ever try do a search for Outlook client and not Outlook email?  :(

Anyhow, are you aware of a trick to send notes from one notebook to another?

IainB:
Anyhow, are you aware of a trick to send notes from one notebook to another?
-dantheman (January 11, 2016, 08:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

There is no "trick". The Notebook metaphor is relatively consistently applied in the 3-pane GUI. There are straightforward and relatively foolproof operations to move stuff around, though if one does make a mistake - as one does, sometimes   :-[   - then the Ctrl-Z (undo history) hotkey shows itself to be a highly reliable lifesaver, and the Recycled pages are searched for content by default and can provide a useful backstop for recovery (they are auto-deleted after 60 days, by default). You get warnings where specific actions cannot be undone.

Operations which need to be learned here include:

* You can cut-and-paste or copy-and-paste pages and discrete bits of page contents pretty much wherever you want.
* You can drag-and-drop individual pages or groups of pages (including the collapsible/indented type of Page Groups) within sections in a Notebook, and between Notebooks.
Very useful: You can also right-click Move or Copy individual pages, sending them to somewhere else within a Notebook or to other Notebooks.
* You can drag-and-drop discrete sections (including the special collapsible Section Groups).
Very useful: You can also right-click Move or Copy individual sections within a Notebook and between Notebooks.
* You can right-click Merge (with options) discrete sections into other discrete sections within a Notebook and between Notebooks.
When I was trying to fix a corrupted Cloud-based Notebook, I learned to use the above operations and it made light work of an otherwise tedious job. It turned out that only one page had been partially corrupted, but it did make me wary about Cloud-based Notebooks. I have never yet had a corrupted client-based Notebook, despite thrashing the application and making it crash from time to time. It always seems to fail safe.

dantheman:
You're a pro IanB!
Shall work with desktop version only.
Thanks a bunch!  :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version