ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Microsoft OneNote - some experiential Tips & Tricks

<< < (14/41) > >>

kuehnm:
Slartibartfast,
I'd wish you would read the entirety of my posts. It would also help if you read the comments. If you had, you would know that your timeline is seriously wrong. It's actually this:
    1. I made a post about Zettelkasten and Wikis on the Taking Note blog.
    2. You tried to publish "a Zettelkasten PIM related comment" on the Taking Note blog on (December 3, 2015 at around 9:59 PM).
    3. The blog entry was twice deleted very soon after you made it. In other words, you either did not succeed in making the blog post or you deleted it. I did not delete it and would not have deleted it. But I was not sure I could respond to it directly.
    4. I wrote a blog post on OneNote on December 04, 2015. 10:11 AM that I characterized as a rant. I said that it was occasioned by recent and not-so recent comments. And I also said that "my notes don't have to be both client-based and web-based, I don't need formatting, images, links, etc. from web-page capture to be retained, OLE editing, OCR, Excel Spreadsheets, MS-Outlook exchange (the last two should be obvious after what I said before, but ...)" which you would have recognized, but no one else. I did not mention your name or pseudonym
    4. You published part of what you said in your comments on December 04, 2015, 10:40:58 PM, that is 29 minutes after my post of 10:11 AM.
    5. I then responded on December 05, 2015 5:45 AM to your post (of December 04, 2015, 10:40) on this forum.in which I clearly say that your "contribution was first posted in a slightly different form as a comment on My Zettelkasten. Much to my regret, it was, however, deleted again by the author," as that was the only explanation I had for its disappearance. It was also the first time I addressed your pseudonym directly (or indirectly, for that matter).
    ... The rest should be clear to anyone who followed this Forum and the blog.
   I have no idea why you want to accuse me of having deleted your entry. In fact, given the fact that I have explained this several times and you refuse to even acknowledge it, I am asking myself whether this last attempt to set things straight, makes even sense.

I also regret to bother everyone with these details (but I have been accused ...)
Manfred Kuehn

P.S.: Much of this misunderstanding could have been avoided, if you could be e-mailed, for that is what I would have done, had I had your address.

dr_andus:
As for OneNote, I still haven't seen an example or explanation of how it handles thousands or tens of thousands of notes, and in the absence of that I have a hard time seeing how it would work as a Zettelkasten in the long run.
-dr_andus (December 05, 2015, 08:36 AM)
--- End quote ---

Well, judging from my own humble experience, one has had at least 8 years to build one's own example, and also to go look at some other examples, but on the other hand I suppose one shouldn't rush into these things too hastily.
-IainB (December 06, 2015, 12:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks. As soon as I finish building my time machine, I'll go back to 2007 and start building my OneNote Zettelkasten, so that I can see what it would look like today.

But in the meantime, considering that you actually have such a OneNote Zettelkasten, would you mind sharing your experience about how you deal with navigating thousands of notes in OneNote?

There aren't such examples out there. One would need direct access into such a huge database to fully understand how it scales up.

IainB:
...But in the meantime, considering that you actually have such a OneNote Zettelkasten, would you mind sharing your experience about how you deal with navigating thousands of notes in OneNote?
There aren't such examples out there. One would need direct access into such a huge database to fully understand how it scales up.
-dr_andus (December 06, 2015, 05:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

I navigate using the OneNote 2 or 3-pane GUI and search across "this"page/notebook or all notebooks, also WDS (as described above).
Notes can be structured hierarchically or randomly.
There is also a Tagging system and Wiki-like links, which can be very useful.
As to scalability, it seems to be fine. If you read my notes above, you will see that I haven't yet been able to break it.
I would suggest "Nullius in verba" - motto of the Royal Society, London. Literally, "Take nobody's word for it; see for yourself".

IainB:
@kuehnm:
Slartibartfast, ...
-kuehnm (December 06, 2015, 04:33 PM)
--- End quote ---

Sorry, I don't have any interest in becoming involved in a slanging match over such a trivial matter.

dr_andus:
Here is one implementation of the Zettelkasten method using OneNote:

OneNote Review • Zettelkasten Method

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version