ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Microsoft OneNote - some experiential Tips & Tricks

<< < (7/41) > >>

wraith808:
The manner in which I use it day to day is to have it on my secondary screen, partially transparent so I can see the actual apps on the second screen beneath it without switching back and forth.  As it just displays images, you can change up the display size also in order to make it as small as you want, and therefore take up as little space as you want.  I need to get back to it, because I was going to add the option of a global hot key to advance the image, which I've found would be useful.

Just an idea that I thought to posit when I saw your pop-up screen.

dantheman:
Do hope our OneNote guru can answer this one.
Is there a way to clip notes from webpage to OneNote and preserve hyperlinks that are present within?
Have printed and emailed entire webpage to ON but neither have active hyperlinks (look just like one "picture").

IainB:
@dantheman: Which version of OneNote are you using?
It sounds as though you might be using the "FREE" version of OneNote. If that is the case, then it is pretty constrained.

dantheman:
Using the one that came with either Office or Outlook 2013 (both shareware - not expensive enough?).

Update: CliptoOneNote addon does the trick just fine but would expect better from native OneNote clipping or printing options.

IainB:
@dantheman: Thanks for your response above, I think I understand your question about capturing web pages in OneNote now, and I might be able to help.

Basically, copying parts of the content of web pages into OneNote is potentially useful, though you may have to tediously reformat some of it to make it look better. However, copying the content of an entire web page into OneNote is not something that I do, and nor would I recommend it..
If you wish to capture web pages in their entirety, including any required linked/embedded file types, and to zero or "n" levels deep (selectable), then the Firefox ScrapBook extension (version 1.5.11 currently) is essential. It faithfully captures all the html and files in WYSIWYG.

Explanation:
A: In Firefox: to copy part of a web page to a OneNote notebook, the steps are:

* 1. Select as a block those parts of the page which you want to copy and save to a OneNote notebook.
* 2. Press Ctrl-C - copies the material selected.
* 3. Alt-Tab to the OneNote window.
* 4. Press Ctrl-V - pastes the material from Clipboard to the OneNote page you select, in RTF (Rich Text format), and appends some metadata, including the URL it was copied from.

B: In IE: to copy part of a web page to a OneNote notebook, the steps are:
You could use the same steps as for Firefox (above), but alternative methods are:

* 1. Select as a block those parts of the page which you want to copy and save to a OneNote notebook.
* 2. Either:
(a) Send to OneNote:

* Press the Send to OneNote button - the material selected is copied and pasted into a OneNote page (you can set/select the default destination page to receive the material).(b) OneNote Linked Notes:

* Press Ctrl-C - copies the material selected.
* Press the OneNote Linked Notes button - the screen splits into two with the browser window on one side (usually set as the LHS by default), and a OneNote Linked Notes window (usually set as the RHS by default).
* Press Ctrl-V - pastes the material from Clipboard to the OneNote page you select, in RTF (Rich Text format), and appends some metadata, including the URL it was copied from.
Notes:

* 1. Depending on the browser you are using, the content of the copied/pasted results may differ in some minor way between browsers. The output is not WYSIWYG - e.g., in the web page colours copied - and the amount/type of metadata shown at the foot of the copied item may also differ. Usually, material sourced from IE seems to have fuller metadata.
* 2. The content of the copied/pasted results is not WYSIWYG because it is not an html copy but an RTF copy, and OneNote mucks about with the format - e.g., including column widths, turns a single horizontal row of icons/images into a series of rows - one for each icon/image.
* 3. To copy ALL of a web page in Firefox or IE, use the Ctrl-A button, to first select ALL content on the page, in the steps above.
* 4. To copy ALL of a web page in IE, it is quicker if you don't select any data and then use the Send to OneNote button, whereupon the whole page is copied by default.
* To copy ALL of a web page in IE as a scrolled image broken into pages, you can use two approaches (both result in 'orrible output):

* (a) Via the Send To OneNote tool (invoked by pressing the Windows+N keys) and then selecting the Send To Onenote (D) button in the tool window that pops up. This button is only integrated/operative with/for IE + MS Office products.
* (b) By printing the page to the Printer defined as "Send To OneNote 2013". This also works for printing from any application.
* Unfortunately both (a) and (b) above not only have the imaged output for a single long web page broken into discrete pages of images in OneNote, but also the output reformats and makes a serious hash-up of the content - e.g., narrowing the width of text columns, splitting text from any associated embedded images in the web page, and often truncating the RHS parts of all wider embedded images. The 'orrible results are pretty much identical to the output when printing to a PDF printer.
* You can get an excellent scrolled screen capture (image) of a web page - see Test of the OneNote Clipper bookmarklet "button" that you drag to Favorites.
* None of the above image output  - e.g., including Print To OneNote, Send To OneNote tool, and Print as PDF - contains embedded links. That is, embedded links are lost.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version