ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Microsoft OneNote - some experiential Tips & Tricks

<< < (6/41) > >>

IainB:
@dantheman:
Multiple page deletes are simple: You can select multiple pages at a time, using the Page tabs (holding down the Shift key to collect a contiguous range of pages, or the Ctrl key to select/deselect pages in a selected range). All the selected page tabs go grey. You then delete them with a single press of the Delete key. That sends just the selected pages to the Trash. They can be recovered from Trash for a while, but Trash will eventually be expunged according to the settings for that.

I seem to recall that copying a PDF file to OneNote 2007 could be done so that all the pages of the PDF file go to one infinitely long page in OneNote (not sure what the limit is) - I had mistakenly sent a 500-page document to OneNote, and it all came onto one page. Maybe I used the Print To OneNote function; I don't recall though.

With MS Office 2013 (OneNote 2013), you can:

* Print a PDF file to ON (as if it were an installed printer).
* Insert a Printout of a file.
* Insert a file as an attachment (Object) or as a Printout.The file printed automatically goes onto one infinitely long page in ON as a series of images - one image for each page of the PDF document. If you do this, the print images are not OCRed or indexed (even though you may have Make text in images searchable set on by default), and so to get them OCRed and indexed you simply select those page images you want indexed and then right click and select Make text in image searchable. I just did this with a 7-page PDF document to prove it, and it works a treat. I was pretty sure that ON2007 worked in much the same way.

By the way, for Client-based Notebooks, the contents of files inserted as objects are apparently stored in a format peculiar to OneNote, which is not indexed and thus cannot be searched - either by OneNote or WDS (Windows Desktop Search).
For Cloud-based drives (i.e., if the Notebook is in OneDrive), I think the same is true. However, if the Notebook is saved in Sharepoint, I think I read somewhere that all file objects inserted in ON Notebooks can be indexed/searched in/by Sharepoint search.

dantheman:
Thank you Ian for your generous time and most elaborate response!  :Thmbsup:
A ctrl+A type hotkey would have been most appropriate. Next version maybe?

Would be nice if Microsoft could integrate a bit better their overall search for ON.
In time...

IainB:
Thank you Ian for your generous time and most elaborate response!  :Thmbsup:
A ctrl+A type hotkey would have been most appropriate. Next version maybe?
Would be nice if Microsoft could integrate a bit better their overall search for ON.
In time...
-dantheman (February 18, 2015, 12:18 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks. I'm always happy to try and help where I think I might be able to.
Ctrl+A works on (for example) the series of PDF pages printed within a OneNote page.
Ctrl+A does not work on the Page Tabs, but it does work on the page tabs within a Page Group (which seems logical, to me).

Selecting (say) 400 contiguous Page Tabs to delete in OneNote is easy. Just click on the uppermost or lowermost page in the page tabs, then scroll to the lowermost or uppermost (respectively ), and click on that whilst holding down the Shift key. That selects them all. Then press Delete.

I have an AutoHotKey macro that pops up and displays the OneNote 2013 Hotkeys and functions.
Here is the pop-up:

wraith808:
^ you might also do this with ROT, so you don't have to use a hotkey or dismiss it.  Just a shameless plug :)

IainB:
@wraith808: Oh, I think I see what you mean.
Wouldn't it be a bit too busy on the screen though, if all that info was overlaid onto it? For the purposes of good ergonomics, I mean. Or did you just mean progressively overlaying smaller chunks of reference info and scrolling through those chunks?
I haven't used ROT, so I am unsure as to how it looks in practice.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version