ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Microsoft OneNote - some experiential Tips & Tricks

<< < (4/41) > >>

dantheman:
Ian,

I'm using OneNote 2013.
If use Windows Search key, (after finding specific text to search for), all i get is a folder icon with nothing to tell me what its from and it won't open to wherever the data is either. On the other hand, if i search within OneNote itself, there are no problems.

wraith808:
Ian,

I'm using OneNote 2013.
If use Windows Search key, (after finding specific text to search for), all i get is a folder icon with nothing to tell me what its from and it won't open to wherever the data is either. On the other hand, if i search within OneNote itself, there are no problems.
-dantheman (November 29, 2014, 11:17 AM)
--- End quote ---

By default, the contents are not indexed in windows search.  To fix this, open the Indexing options in control panel, choose Advanced, then File Types tab. Scroll down to the OneNote file types and for each one, choose the option to Index Properties and File Contents. After doing this for the multiple OneNote file types, choose Ok. The index will need to be rebuilt after this, so it won't be immediate- but this should fix that problem.

dantheman:
Thanks a bunch Wraith!
You just taught an ol' dog some new tricks!  ;D

Now back to OneNote with renewed enthusiasm!

IainB:
@dantheman: How did @wraith808's good advice work out for you?

Also, you did not say: What version of Windows do you have?

The version may be relevant, because Microsoft apparently somehow messed up the Windows Index/Search for OneNote file extensions (and some other file extensions) in Win8. To fix it, you needed to install the iFilters pack for MS Office 2013, but that iFilters pack was apparently only momentarily released and then promptly withdrawn without explanation. The prevailing advice following that seemed to be to use the iFilters pack for MS Office 2010, but that led to some instances of the iFilters not being properly registered (in the Registry) for certain file types, so they would still show up in searches almost exactly as you described above:
-dantheman (November 29, 2014, 11:17 AM)
--- End quote ---

dantheman:
Thank you Ian for your thoughtfulness!

Actually, i waited to give search time to update the other day and following your reminder, have just tried to test how wraith808's tip does and nothing has changed.

Using 32bit Office 2013 on Windows 7 64bit with SSD on a laptop.

It's not a major issue for me though.
Searching through OneNote itself is sufficient for my present needs.

But i do agree with you about Microsoft messing up on things.
Outlook 2013 isn't 2010 but i won't go down that road.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version