ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Microsoft OneNote - some experiential Tips & Tricks

<< < (30/41) > >>

IainB:
@dantheman:
Just a quick response.
The collecting tab - the "Unfiled" tab - has been renamed to "Quick Notes" in OneNote 2016 (Desktop), but seems to fulfil the same functions as the previous "Unfiled" tab did.
The settings in OneNote 2016 only allow the setting of a single standard/specific tab as the collector for all stuff sent to OneNote from any/all devices. Quick Notes seems to be the default.

Regardless of what the collecting tab is called, every single item sent to OneNote - from the desktop client or  a handheld device - seems to be sent to a separate Page within the Quick Notes tab - with the exception of sending from a Windows phone, where I have noticed that if one sends a few images/clips at the same time in quick succession, they will sometimes appear on the same page, one below the other. This is probably because OneNote creates a unique page for the image(s)/clips it is sent, based on the date-time stamp of when it receives them (which is why I consider that date-time could be useful as a unique Zettelkasten key).

So you are probably stuck with all those discrete pages, each with a separate and differently date-time-stamped clip.

dantheman:
@IainB:

The folks at Microsoft should find ways to contract those "Quick Note" pages.
Perhaps a quick game of Scrabble could help them at finding contractions!

IainB:
Sorry for my mistyped English in the above comment. Corrected to "...if one sends...".

IainB:
This video might be worth a look. I happened across it in one of my BasQux feeds and watched it all, though fast-forwarding through some bits. It could be regarded as being a tad elementary, but I reckon it's probably just about right as an educational/training talk and as an introduction to some of OneNote's functionality, for newcomers to OneNote.
Interestingly, the guy (Scott Skip Concilla, a Microsoft Certified Trainer) giving the talk seems to have arrived at some of the same conclusions as I had arrived at, in my long-time trialling/use of the software - e.g., there seems to be no "right" way to use containers on a page. He does a good demo of Tags and Tag summaries too. There seem to be quite a lot more OneNote training videos available "near" that one.

IainB:
@dantheman:
@IainB:
The folks at Microsoft should find ways to contract those "Quick Note" pages.
Perhaps a quick game of Scrabble could help them at finding contractions!
-dantheman (July 08, 2017, 05:26 AM)
--- End quote ---
I forgot to respond to this. Sorry.
As a confirmed Scrabble-player, I have learned that the idea is not so much to go for word "contractions", but "expansions" - the longest words! And with lots of high worth letters (e.g., X, Y, Z) for higher scores!    ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version