ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Microsoft OneNote - some experiential Tips & Tricks

<< < (24/41) > >>

IainB:
Just in case this might help existing OneNote users.
I have also posted about this on the OneNote user forum as it seems to not have been posted as a bug elsewhere (not that I can find, at any rate).
It only recently started to happen.

Mar.2016 update bug? - OneNote 2016 - Extremely annoying and persistent tendency for any page to auto-reset to 100% zoom level.
This is an error/bug that seems to have been introduced into OneNote 2016 in the latest but one (penultimate) Office 2016 Updates. It only started happening after the update anyway, and had been working fine before.
This error/bug manifests as an extremely annoying and persistent tendency for any page to auto-reset to 100% zoom level.
Regardless of what you had previously set as the zoom level and whatever you might try to reset in the zoom box (I usually have it set at 115%), it keeps dynamically restoring all viewed pages to 100%.
This is a real PITA for me as a user, but, because it is not a critical error, I presume that Microsoft developers will get around to fixing it sometime later.
So, I am therefore not holding my breath and have written an AutoHotKey macro workaround to it for myself - hardly an ideal solution, but it is simpler than repetitively typing Alt, W, Q, 115%, Enter every few minutes.
Hope this helps or is of use.
--- End quote ---

IainB:
2016-04-16 2152hrs: Looks like the OneNote percentage zoom 100% bug (above) may have been fixed in an update to MS Office 2016 today. (Crossed fingers...)

IainB:
I mentioned above the Office Lens on Win10 smartphones.
Here's an example of where I took a photo of a business card, and using Office Lens phone app, sent it to OneNote. (I think this app is also on Android now.)
Look what it can do: (The data it collects and presents is on the LHS, the image of the card is on the RHS.)

This is a relatively simple card layout. The card is smart-scanned, and identifiable telephone/fax phone numbers, email addresses, physical addresses, etc. are identified. The blue print is hyperlinked text. Note the VCF file created as an attachment. Ruddy amazing.

On more complex business cards with (say) a lot of marketing spiel on, the scan sometimes makes mistakes, and it can also make mistakes in the OCR scanning if image quality is poor, or print colours are not easy to distinguish from the background, but all-in-all it does a creditable job. A timesaver, and you can ditch the paper card once it has been captured and checked.
This image was taken of the card on a tabletop. Once you tell the app whether it is a photo, whiteboard, business card or document, Office Lens automagically selects the card boundaries (the user can adjust if necessary) and processes it accordingly. If the image is not face-on, but captured in a 3D sideways perspective, it is squared up and put into a flat 2D plane with no perspective. Very handy. For example, my daughter uses it for capturing teacher notes from the whiteboard at school (it removes perspective, board glare and emphasises the darkness of writing on the whiteboard), and working notes from homework documents.
You really need to use this tool to get a feel for its potential usefulness. It is very good.

IainB:
I was checking some old notes today and saw this. It is a post from 2011, but could be potentially very useful for those considering using OneNote for GTD together with Outlook: (I could never seem to get Outlook to work properly, so not of much use to me.)
GTD with Outlook 2010 and OneNote 2010 – Series Links

IainB:
@superboyac:
I am officially starting what I am calling the...
'The 2016 Superboyac's IanB Onenote experiment"
-superboyac (January 15, 2016, 02:03 PM)
--- End quote ---
How's that experiment coming along? Care to share your experiences so far? Have you got any tips or tricks we should perhaps be informed about? Could be useful.    :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version