ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

WinDim 1.1.4.0

<< < (3/4) > >>

Giampy:
I wonder when WinDim may be useful.

MilesAhead:
-Giampy (July 25, 2012, 03:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

I can't tell you what's useful for you. Other than the occasional request for a small script, all my programs are written for my own use. I just share 'em. If you have no desire to precisely position or size a window, then it's likely of no use to you at all.

daddydave:
-Giampy (July 25, 2012, 03:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

I find there are a lot of programs here at DC (especially in Coding Snacks where a lot of them are written for one person) that I may not see an immediate use for, and then years later I need it for some reason!

skwire:
I wonder when WinDim may be useful.-Giampy (July 25, 2012, 03:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

Here's one: If you're a (web) developer that needs to check out how an interface looks at varying resolutions, this tool would make it easy to resize windows to the standard sizes, e.g., 800x600, 1024x768, 1280x1024, etc..  Just a thought.

MilesAhead:
Try using something like an onscreen caliper or ruler just to get the window's width and height. Then you'll see it's simpler and more exact for simple window width and height, to do it via a Windows function. One function call returns the window's size and position to the pixel.

For one example, every time I open Malwarebyes anti-malware it opens at a different spot. If I want to make a script to launch it with position and size, it's trivial if I have the exact numbers. In fact I think I'll do it now because it's annoying launching, then hotkeying it into place every time I run it.

It's probably more useful for programmers than for the average user.  If I have a window that's the perfect size for a particular task, there's no pre-fabricated way to get the exact numbers. Often what people do is lay another window on top and mess around with the mouse trying to get the 2 windows to match perfectly. That's a real time waster.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version