ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

SilverStripe - Easy to use open source CMS + Framework

<< < (2/4) > >>

superboyac:
@nudone - make things easy for yourself. Just download a copy of AMPPS to use as your development environment. You can install Silverstripe (and about 270 other web apps) from inside AMPPS. AMPPS has them all scripted. It's click, answer a few questions, and go for most of the webapps in its catalog.

It's all free too.

Check out the two demo videos here.

Cool tool!  8)
-40hz (July 20, 2012, 01:45 PM)
--- End quote ---
I've been meaning to try this on my new webhost.  Just one question: it seems to be a one-off service.  As in, I use AMPPS to install silverstripe, and then I never use it again?  Do you use AMPPS again after setting up the initial website?

40hz:
@nudone - make things easy for yourself. Just download a copy of AMPPS to use as your development environment. You can install Silverstripe (and about 270 other web apps) from inside AMPPS. AMPPS has them all scripted. It's click, answer a few questions, and go for most of the webapps in its catalog.

It's all free too.

Cool tool!  8)
--- End quote ---
I've been meaning to try this on my new webhost.  Just one question: it seems to be a one-off service.  As in, I use AMPPS to install silverstripe, and then I never use it again?  Do you use AMPPS again after setting up the initial website?
-superboyac (July 20, 2012, 03:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes. It's your WAMP stack. You can also uninstall webapps using it. If you already have a webhost set up I'm not sure this is what you're looking for. I also don't know if you can use it with a hosting site. AFAICT it's designed to be your own Windows webserver.

To just install the scripts you'd use the Softaculous Auto Installer part which is either free or $12/$24 annually. But it's designed to replace something like Fantastico or cPanel. So I think you'd either need your host to install it, or you'd need to have a dedicated or virtual server that you have full administrative access to. (Note: you also need to have cPanel already installed on your server before you can  install Softaculous if I understand it correctly.)

Might want to contact them directly ([email protected]) if you want it to go on a server you can't sit down next to. I only use it to evaluate and experiment with - although you could do a test site and then migrate the directories over to a live site once you were happy with it. Some people are using it that way.

:)

superboyac:

It's all free too.

Cool tool!  8)
--- End quote ---
I've been meaning to try this on my new webhost.  Just one question: it seems to be a one-off service.  As in, I use AMPPS to install silverstripe, and then I never use it again?  Do you use AMPPS again after setting up the initial website?
-superboyac (July 20, 2012, 03:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes. It's your WAMP stack. You can also uninstall webapps using it. If you already have a webhost set up I'm not sure this is what you're looking for. I also don't know if you can use it with a hosting site. AFAICT it's designed to be your own Windows webserver.

To just install the scripts you'd use the Softaculous Auto Installer part which is either free or $12/$24 annually. But it's designed to replace something like Fantastico or cPanel. So I think you'd either need your host to install it, or you'd need to have a dedicated or virtual server that you have full administrative access to. (Note: you also need to have cPanel already installed on your server before you can  install Softaculous if I understand it correctly.)

Might want to contact them directly ([email protected]) if you want it to go on a server you can't sit down next to. I only use it to evaluate and experiment with - although you could do a test site and then migrate the directories over to a live site once you were happy with it. Some people are using it that way.

:)
-40hz (July 20, 2012, 04:39 PM)
--- End quote ---
I see, thanks.  Then I don't think it's the tool for me.  Inmotion is really great with this kind of thing either with a call or event heir online help is awesome.  But it's something to consider for real independent type of work.

nudone:

It's all free too.

Cool tool!  8)
--- End quote ---

Thanks for the advice, 40. I think you've recommended AMPPS before - and I've also said I'll use it. Since then I must have forgotten as I'm currently using WAMP (was using XAMPP but found WAMP a bit more versatile with the "plugins" it has).

I'll probably stick with WAMP because that's where everything is on my system - I am going to give AMPPS a go now on a another machine.

justice:
if you use Microsoft's web platform installer to install SilverStripe CMS be aware it installs as of today, still the older 2.4 version which am sure works fine but things have improved since then. WPI doesn't tell you this in advance :O)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version