ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

new DVD "M-Disc" perfect for archive material

<< < (8/9) > >>

Renegade:
LG sends all their reject to this part of the world.
-Shades (July 20, 2012, 03:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hope the following digression will be tolerated :)

I have started to suspect that some companies that distribute to multiple countries have measurements per-country (may be even more specific?) of what level of quality they can deliver to which country.  If you produce a lot of products and can measure such things, it seems like an obvious thing to at least consider.  (I was just chatting the other day with someone who hasn't had problems with HDDs for years, but has had awful experience with optical media, whereas, the reverse situation has been true for me for approximately the last decade.)

If any one has sources of information regarding this, please share.

(FWIW, my personal experience with the LG burner I got recently has been quite good so far.)
-ewemoa (July 20, 2012, 08:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

It is standard practice world-wide to do this in many industries, and particularly in agriculture and natural products, e.g. lumber, hides, etc. You'll often be in some market and see something stamped "Export" or "Export Quality". No concrete examples for you, but I'm sure a search would turn up more info quickly.

40hz:
A minor point -- I know one of the things quoted used the term "Blue-Ray", but I think it's officially "Blu-ray"
-ewemoa (July 21, 2012, 12:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

Corrected. Thx for pointing it out. :)

ewemoa:
Regarding larger capacity discs, apparently in January of this year (2013), there was some relevant press release:

U.S.-based Millenniata (www.mdisc.com) ... announced it will offer Blu-ray M-DISCs in the second quarter of 2013, increasing both the storage capacity and the accessibility of the M-DISC.

The new Blu-ray M-DISCs will be writable and readable on any Blu-ray combo drive – an enormous step for Millenniata and the convenience of this permanent storage technology. The Blu-ray M-DISCs will also offer at least five times the amount of storage as the standard 4.7GB M-DISC.

--- End quote ---

via:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/millenniata-announces-blu-ray-optical-221400517.html (Mon, Jan 7, 2013)

kyrathaba:
I'm interested in the M-Disc. I'll probably give it another couple or three years to mature, then buy a more up to date PC that ships with a M-Disc ready DVD burner.

But here's a question: why can't they make flash storage more robust? Why not improve USB thumb drives' reliability/longevity? Is it just not possible? I mean, give me something like the 256 GB Kingston DataTraveler HyperX 3.0 but with 10x the expected life-span.

ewemoa:
I'm interested in the M-Disc. I'll probably give it another couple or three years to mature, then buy a more up to date PC that ships with a M-Disc ready DVD burner.
-kyrathaba (April 09, 2013, 07:22 AM)
--- End quote ---

IIUC, one nice thing about these newer M-DISC Blu-ray discs is that a special drive is not necessary to read or write them -- apart from being a drive that supports burning Blu-ray discs.  Don't have any idea of the price of these M-DISC Blu-ray discs though -- nor whether they will undergo testing similar to the M-DISC DVDs...

But here's a question: why can't they make flash storage more robust? Why not improve USB thumb drives' reliability/longevity? Is it just not possible? I mean, give me something like the 256 GB Kingston DataTraveler HyperX 3.0 but with 10x the expected life-span.

--- End quote ---

No idea really -- but even if it were possible, IIUC, when a thumb drive (or hard drive) fails, one often does't seem to have very long to get much of anything off of it before it becomes completely inaccessible (at least with equipment that most of us are likely to have access to).  Optical media on the other hand, seem to degrade more gradually and consequently, it seems like you don't lose as much nearly as fast once failures start (unless you shatter or something) -- and perhaps one can apply the likes of dvdisaster for some premeditated insurance.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version