ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Staple of people from State and Europe !

<< < (2/12) > >>

4wd:
:-\ You want dieting tips from the country with the highest percentage of overweight people on the planet ... -Stoic Joker (July 17, 2012, 06:41 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, I'm amazed that with all that weight up there, the USA hasn't slid down the face of the planet and become the new land "down under".  :P

Let's see, staples: pretty much the same as Renegade, except for cooked vegetables, (can't stand them - raw is fine though) - and like him, kangaroo is definitely more preferable than beef.  :Thmbsup:

Although, I'm not particularly fussy if it's organic or not - that's purely a financial decision AFAIAC.

For bread, I prefer pita or flat bread although the best "normal" loaf bread I ever tasted was in Mongolia.

SKA:
If off-topic I apologize for hijacking your thread on diet, but may I offer these two sites based on personal experiences of Konstantyn -developer of the now defunct Okna Desktop PIM:

Fiber menace - http://www.fibermenace.com/fibermenace/about_fm.html
Gutsense       - http://www.fibermenace.com/gutsense/about_gs.html

I found these two websites most valuable & counter to many notions I had on diet & eating habits etc- maybe they are useful to all of you as well.  (disclaimer - I have no relation to them but I do plan to buy their products).

Ska

Renegade:
I mean their has got to something they must be eating some supplement which would fulfill Vit and Minerals intake :
-hulkbuster (July 17, 2012, 09:08 PM)
--- End quote ---

Unfortunately, I don't think there really is. Which would, as StoicJoker pointed out, help explain the overwhelming obesity in the US (and some other places with similar diets).

The typical American diet consists of mainly processed food, which is just double-speak for nutrient deficient.

While some foods actually do benefit from cooking (heat), they are in the minority. Nutritional value is preserved in most foods by eating it raw, not cooked.

But the situation gets much worse for processed foods. Processing basically strips food of its nutritional value. Industry shills will blather on about safety and all kinds of nonsense, but it all really just boils down to scare tactics.

One of the easier things to find out more information about is milk. Pasteurization eliminates the beneficial bacteria and flora in milk. UHT (ultra-high temperature) milk is basically dead with no real nutritional value. Fresh, raw milk has a far higher nutritional content, but is illegal in many places. (I wonder why that is...?)

India is under massive pressure from US industry to pollute its food supply, but luckily has a good grass-roots base in many places that oppose US industry concerns. This is a great thing, and definitely in the long-term interests of India.

I've been doing a lot of reading and research on food, agriculture, and health, and it really is fascinating. Some of the things out there are simply mind-blowing.

Got a cut? Spread manuka honey on it. Now just how the hell did people figure that one out?

The number of foods that help burn fat and lose weight is simply astounding. Green tea. Lots of it. And a million more.

Oh - bread -- not all bread is created equal. :D We never eat white bread, and often eat wheat-free, sprouted grain bread. When you look into nutrition in bread, wow... there's quite a bit to know.

Then there's sugar... Pretty much all of our sugar intake is from fresh produce. Not all sugars are equal, and again, so much to know there.

But, I think I'm blathering. It would be interesting to know what people eat. I know that I'm kind of on the freakish side of being a health nut there. (And I love the taste of McDonalds Big Macs, but don't eat them anymore... I do miss the taste... I suppose I should try making hamburgers at home. With kangaroo meat~! ;D :P )

barney:
Well-l-l-l ... I'm not a typical housewife, being male  :P, but I do eat a lot of bread ... that I bake myself.  

Since I make it myself, I have great control over what goes into it:  no preservatives, sometimes meats, sometimes various vegetables.  

However, my closest friend, also male, is a meat eater par excellance.  His typical diet, apart from hamburgers when hes' in a hurry, is a lot of fried chicked (KFC, Popeyes, Pete's brands) or a lot of beef brisket, grilled pork of various varieties, grilled steaks.  He is basically a carnivore, with just enough vegetables to stay healthy.

Mind, we are not typical food consumers:  I'm not certain there is any such thing, at least in the US.  I say that because, while he's a carnivore and I'm an omnivore, we both enjoy rice (jasmine rice is delicious) and other various fruits or vegetables.

We partake of a lot of fast food, but we can find restaurants of almost any nationality/religion/dietary preference in any even semi-large city.  Since I'm in the Southwest, there is a lot of Tex-Mex food, almost always involving [pinto] beans and tortillas (very flat bread  ;)), and usually a variety of beef, pork, or chicken (not a lot of mutton) servings, usually chopped, ground, or shredded and wrapped in the afore-mentioned tortillas.

I don't really thing you'll find a standard diet here.  Maybe some regional preferences, but not much standard nationwide.  Oh, there is a general push to drink milk.  Problem is, we lose the ability to process milk within a year or so of birth.  (Milk is a much-touted source of vitamin D, but the adult human body simply cannot assimilate it - how's that for a Mother Nature practical joke  :P).

Good luck with your research  :up:.

Renegade:
but I do eat a lot of bread ... that I bake myself. 

Since I make it myself, I have great control over what goes into it:  no preservatives, sometimes meats, sometimes various vegetables. 
-barney (July 17, 2012, 09:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

I've often wanted to do that, but I just can't get motivated enough. Cripes... I've still got this homemade beer-kit that I haven't started on the next batch with... :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version