topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 10:01 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Staple of people from State and Europe !  (Read 33999 times)

hulkbuster

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Staple of people from State and Europe !
« on: July 17, 2012, 01:11 PM »
Hello folks ,
 this is nothing related to program or software issues, all i want to know is that , are their any folks from United States of America or any other country like Europe : would you be kind enough to share your staple diet.
Like i see programs like Discovery , National Geographic and Travel and Living, where they show American people eating bread in many forms and name like hotdogs burger, stakes and dessert where you don't care to remember,
like i am Buddhist and i am from Sikkim (India) a small state actually the second smallest in Sikkim although their are many communities here too, but being a Bhuddist from Bhutia Cummunity our staple diest is rice, morning is fried rice with eggs or whatever remains of the last night supper along with a tea.
During afternoon its Rice, Millet and vegetable or sometine beef meat cooked sometime boiled and served.
Night is the same as afternoon supper.

What would be yours.
ClipDiary 5.3/ Smadav 2018/ Some Sense

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Re: Staple of people from State and Europe !
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 01:32 PM »
You may get a bizarre mix of diets, depending on who chimes in.

I'm originally from Canada (the 51st state of the US :P ), but live in Australia (tasteless jokes omitted :P ). My diet is mostly fruit, vegetables, herbs, spices, rice, bread, chicken, beef, kangaroo (which is great and even preferable to beef). I drink mostly water, coffee (with milk), and a wide variety of alcohol. :P I don't think my diet is typical though. We do not eat any fast food, junk food, canned food, and the amount of processed food in the house is extremely low. It's pretty much all fresh, and organic whenever possible/practical.

Well, time to supplement my diet with another glass of booze before bed~! :P ;D
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 06:41 PM »
 :-\ You want dieting tips from the country with the highest percentage of overweight people on the planet ... Are you trying to figure out what not to do??

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 07:55 PM »
:-\ You want dieting tips from the country with the highest percentage of overweight people on the planet ... Are you trying to figure out what not to do??

;D

I went through Houston once... wow... just wow... I'd never seen basketballs walk.

A quick search turns up a few interesting things:

https://www.google.c...ties+in+america+2012

Canada isn't much better. :(

hulkbuster

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 09:08 PM »
wow Renegade, that a new thing for me, fruits , vege's herbs spices , bread rice, how about some one living in USA, i think a lot of our diet is sometimes governed by religeous teaching or thoughts, really i do mix n match too much of what Renegade just mentioned, but i am not on a stupid diet, but sometimes they show such lovely meals prepared in an American restaurant, and bread ( or wheat) would be their primary base for most of their food item eaten, in one episode the host mentioned that some hotdog item(with some accompaniment's) would serve as a complete meal, for anyone living in that particular city (in that episode).

I like bread too, but sometimes i feel how much american people take dried , non juicy stuffs down their throat.
I mean their has got to something they must be eating some supplement which would fulfill Vit and Minerals intake :

I think a typical house wife could answer this question better. :) :(

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 09:12 PM »
:-\ You want dieting tips from the country with the highest percentage of overweight people on the planet ...

Yes, I'm amazed that with all that weight up there, the USA hasn't slid down the face of the planet and become the new land "down under".  :P

Let's see, staples: pretty much the same as Renegade, except for cooked vegetables, (can't stand them - raw is fine though) - and like him, kangaroo is definitely more preferable than beef.  :Thmbsup:

Although, I'm not particularly fussy if it's organic or not - that's purely a financial decision AFAIAC.

For bread, I prefer pita or flat bread although the best "normal" loaf bread I ever tasted was in Mongolia.

SKA

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 09:14 PM »
If off-topic I apologize for hijacking your thread on diet, but may I offer these two sites based on personal experiences of Konstantyn -developer of the now defunct Okna Desktop PIM:

Fiber menace - http://www.fibermena...menace/about_fm.html
Gutsense       - http://www.fibermena...tsense/about_gs.html

I found these two websites most valuable & counter to many notions I had on diet & eating habits etc- maybe they are useful to all of you as well.  (disclaimer - I have no relation to them but I do plan to buy their products).

Ska

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2012, 09:26 PM »
I mean their has got to something they must be eating some supplement which would fulfill Vit and Minerals intake :

Unfortunately, I don't think there really is. Which would, as StoicJoker pointed out, help explain the overwhelming obesity in the US (and some other places with similar diets).

The typical American diet consists of mainly processed food, which is just double-speak for nutrient deficient.

While some foods actually do benefit from cooking (heat), they are in the minority. Nutritional value is preserved in most foods by eating it raw, not cooked.

But the situation gets much worse for processed foods. Processing basically strips food of its nutritional value. Industry shills will blather on about safety and all kinds of nonsense, but it all really just boils down to scare tactics.

One of the easier things to find out more information about is milk. Pasteurization eliminates the beneficial bacteria and flora in milk. UHT (ultra-high temperature) milk is basically dead with no real nutritional value. Fresh, raw milk has a far higher nutritional content, but is illegal in many places. (I wonder why that is...?)

India is under massive pressure from US industry to pollute its food supply, but luckily has a good grass-roots base in many places that oppose US industry concerns. This is a great thing, and definitely in the long-term interests of India.

I've been doing a lot of reading and research on food, agriculture, and health, and it really is fascinating. Some of the things out there are simply mind-blowing.

Got a cut? Spread manuka honey on it. Now just how the hell did people figure that one out?

The number of foods that help burn fat and lose weight is simply astounding. Green tea. Lots of it. And a million more.

Oh - bread -- not all bread is created equal. :D We never eat white bread, and often eat wheat-free, sprouted grain bread. When you look into nutrition in bread, wow... there's quite a bit to know.

Then there's sugar... Pretty much all of our sugar intake is from fresh produce. Not all sugars are equal, and again, so much to know there.

But, I think I'm blathering. It would be interesting to know what people eat. I know that I'm kind of on the freakish side of being a health nut there. (And I love the taste of McDonalds Big Macs, but don't eat them anymore... I do miss the taste... I suppose I should try making hamburgers at home. With kangaroo meat~! ;D :P )

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2012, 09:47 PM »
Well-l-l-l ... I'm not a typical housewife, being male  :P, but I do eat a lot of bread ... that I bake myself.  

Since I make it myself, I have great control over what goes into it:  no preservatives, sometimes meats, sometimes various vegetables.  

However, my closest friend, also male, is a meat eater par excellance.  His typical diet, apart from hamburgers when hes' in a hurry, is a lot of fried chicked (KFC, Popeyes, Pete's brands) or a lot of beef brisket, grilled pork of various varieties, grilled steaks.  He is basically a carnivore, with just enough vegetables to stay healthy.

Mind, we are not typical food consumers:  I'm not certain there is any such thing, at least in the US.  I say that because, while he's a carnivore and I'm an omnivore, we both enjoy rice (jasmine rice is delicious) and other various fruits or vegetables.

We partake of a lot of fast food, but we can find restaurants of almost any nationality/religion/dietary preference in any even semi-large city.  Since I'm in the Southwest, there is a lot of Tex-Mex food, almost always involving [pinto] beans and tortillas (very flat bread  ;)), and usually a variety of beef, pork, or chicken (not a lot of mutton) servings, usually chopped, ground, or shredded and wrapped in the afore-mentioned tortillas.

I don't really thing you'll find a standard diet here.  Maybe some regional preferences, but not much standard nationwide.  Oh, there is a general push to drink milk.  Problem is, we lose the ability to process milk within a year or so of birth.  (Milk is a much-touted source of vitamin D, but the adult human body simply cannot assimilate it - how's that for a Mother Nature practical joke  :P).

Good luck with your research  :up:.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2012, 09:52 PM »
but I do eat a lot of bread ... that I bake myself. 

Since I make it myself, I have great control over what goes into it:  no preservatives, sometimes meats, sometimes various vegetables. 

I've often wanted to do that, but I just can't get motivated enough. Cripes... I've still got this homemade beer-kit that I haven't started on the next batch with... :P

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2012, 10:17 PM »
but I do eat a lot of bread ... that I bake myself. 

Since I make it myself, I have great control over what goes into it:  no preservatives, sometimes meats, sometimes various vegetables. 

I've often wanted to do that, but I just can't get motivated enough. Cripes... I've still got this homemade beer-kit that I haven't started on the next batch with... :P

What a horrible waste of a beer-kit  :P.  Actually, making your own bread isn't all that difficult - nor time-consuming - once you get started.  Find a basic recipe on the Web (or, like me, buy half-a-dozen books  :huh: that you'll seldom use after the first few loaves).  Takes ~10-15 minutes to mix, another (unattended) 20 minutes or so to let it rise (if its a yeast bread), about an hour (unattended) to bake.  Once you've done that, got the basics, so to speak, let your imagination run wild ... almost any result will be edible  :P :P.

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2012, 11:08 PM »
sometimes they show such lovely meals prepared in an American restaurant

And the same thing happens here when we are shown wonderful meals prepared in a French, Chinese, or Indian restaurant  :P
However, I can tell you a few things:

First of all, there probably is no such thing as a "typical" american staple or diet, as we have borrowed so much of our cuisine (and language) from the varied cultures that make up it's people.  
That said, some generalities may be found to be true; wheat and corn based products are more common than rice or other grains. Wheat in the form of loaf bread and cereals, corn as a vegetable, cereal, or an ingredient in other dishes. Meat is very common as a main dish or as part of it (except for those vegetarian among us), mostly beef, pork, chicken, and fish like tuna and cod.  Legumes (beans) and vegetables are more often considered side dishes or filler, rarely as a main dish unless you are a vegetarian or you are in the mood for a salad or bean-based dish.  Beans are seen most commonly in chili and soups.  Lettuce, green beans and peas count for the largest consumption of green vegetables, while carrots, celery, potatoes and onions make up a large part of the root vegetables. Cheese, milk, butter, and other dairy products are very common as well, and fruit is eaten most commonly as a snack or prepared as a dessert.

Growing up, I was ingrained with what I would consider a "typical American menu" of sorts, common things that are eaten at certain times of the day.
Breakfast: Eggs fried or boiled, pancakes with butter and syrup, bacon, cereal, milk (with cereal or as a separate beverage).
Lunch: Usually some sort of sandwich, soup, or salad.
Dinner: Usually a main dish that contained meat or a savory vegetable preparation, with a salad and/or vegetables on the side, and a variety of condiments to spice or flavor as desired.

This, of course, will vary by region or dominant culture in varying degrees, and many would probably disagree with me on what is a "typical" or "common" American meal.  Many Americans choose to eat at the vast variety of restaurants available, while others find satisfaction preparing at home, and still others have more of a tendency to buy pre-packaged or easy-to-prepare boxed or canned products (processed food, as Renegade described).  A dish that is common in the southwest area of the U.S. may be non-existent or uncommon in the northwest.  A family of Asian descent will also have a tendency to consume more foods common to their culture rather than what is considered common in the region they live in, it's all very relative.  

I hope I've answered your question, and not confused you even more, but the subject of food is rather a large one...  :P

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2012, 11:13 PM »
Takes ~10-15 minutes to mix, another (unattended) 20 minutes or so to let it rise (if its a yeast bread), about an hour (unattended) to bake.  Once you've done that, got the basics, so to speak, let your imagination run wild ... almost any result will be edible  :P :P.

Or just dump all the ingredients in the bread-maker you got given for xmas, push the button, walk away and come back when it goes Ding!

Then after the novelty has worn off, put the bread-maker back in the box, stick in a cupboard for the last 5 years and go to the supermarket :D

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2012, 12:45 AM »
Takes ~10-15 minutes to mix, another (unattended) 20 minutes or so to let it rise (if its a yeast bread), about an hour (unattended) to bake.  Once you've done that, got the basics, so to speak, let your imagination run wild ... almost any result will be edible  :P :P.

Or just dump all the ingredients in the bread-maker you got given for xmas, push the button, walk away and come back when it goes Ding!

Then after the novelty has worn off, put the bread-maker back in the box, stick in a cupboard for the last 5 years and go to the supermarket :D

Yeah, that as well.  But I wore out one (1) breadmaker - a Black & Decker, I thimk (go figure) - then decided I could do better.  I did.  And do.  In the space of three (3) hours, give or take, I can give you - well, I could if you were close  ;) - just about any bread you care to designate.  You like zucchini bread?  Or (one (1) of my favourites) banana bread?  How about raisin?  Or potato (another favorite)?  How about a loaf with a ground beef or shredded pork core?

It is not all that different from writing code:  you try a lot of different systems, throw away the ones you don't like, and settle down with just one (1) or two (2), maybe a few.  I just settled for something better than that with which I started, definitely better than I could obtain commercially  :P.  More fun, healthier (usually), mostly less trouble  :-\ ;).

Oh, yeah ... I usually come back to computational task refreshed and much more attentive to what I'm doing  :P :P :P.

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2012, 03:11 AM »
I could use some tips on what to eat to get my weight back up.
Having lost too much from 2 surgeries (4 inguinal hernias) over the past year.

Basically anything cooked, there will be a loss of the nutrients inherent in most foods.
Baked or boiled is always better then fried I think.

I love breads.
But in the list of ingredients, it has to start with whole grain wheat.
Anything else is a waste of good wallpaper glue. :)

Louisiana has some great cuisine, if you can stay away from most of the fried stuff.

Good topic here!

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2012, 06:00 AM »

Beer.

Or vodka.

Or pretty much any alcohol.

:P

And it's a FUN way to gain weight~! ;D

Well, maybe that's not a really good idea, but it *was* an idea...

Meat? Potatoes? Squash? I really have no idea on a healthy way to gain weight, as evidence by my idiotic suggestion to drink yourself a few extra kg.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2012, 06:54 AM »

Oh oh oh~! I have another good idiotic idea~!

563462_336542283097241_1937450271_n.jpg

;D

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2012, 12:43 PM »
[...]
Louisiana has some great cuisine, [eat loads of the] fried stuff.

have you not answered your own question there cmpm :D :P
Tom

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2012, 03:36 PM »
@cmpm: for a healthy way to gain weight, you're correct that you need something to bulk up without being unhealthy.
Take a tip from the powdered-body-builder-drink set and get healthy dosages of protein.
Nuts and beans are a great protein alternative to meat, and any low-fat meat will work as well.
Raw vegetables and fruit are mostly associated with the crunchy-granola-hippie bunch, but when eaten in conjunction with a healthy protein intake, you'll get more than you need.
Speaking of bread, the sprouted-grain type breads will probably help, as in the transition from grain to plant, carbohydrates ar lost and so protein makes up a greater percentage of the nutrient list, though regular whole-grain bread is just as nutritious.

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2012, 04:40 PM »

YUM!

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2012, 05:04 PM »
[img]http://www.icemark.com/blog/wp-content/upload/fish_chips_peas_and_pudding_01.jpg[/img]

YUM!
-Stephen66515 (July 18, 2012, 04:40 PM)

real chips, mushy peas, nice looking fish and ??_____??
Tom

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2012, 06:02 PM »
Thanks for the responses.

Anything is okay with moderation and a good balance.
I think balance is key for too thin or too fat,
and for those in good shape as well.

I just need to take the time to get and eat the right stuff.
My wife's various diets to loose weight, required her to eat more then she was eating.
But to eat the right things that work together.
It always worked if the plan is followed.

I don't drink alcohol, and a lot of fast food won't work.

The protein drinks and vitamins, should just be a supplement to real food.

Yes, protein is needed, Edvard, thanks, along with good veggies and fruit.

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2012, 06:06 PM »
[img]http://www.icemark.com/blog/wp-content/upload/fish_chips_peas_and_pudding_01.jpg[/img]

YUM!

real chips, mushy peas, nice looking fish and ??_____??

We call that a 'Pudding'

Its generally meat, in a very soft pastry (Boiled in a tin can generally)

hulkbuster

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2012, 03:19 AM »

YUM!
YUMMY NEATY....What a nice looking meal,,,,GOD

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2012, 06:44 AM »
Is that the infamous steak & kidney pudding? :)

My highest culinary achievement (chicken farcha - a slightly localized version of fried chicken.)
I was left to fend for myself and got sick of ordering restaurant food... cooking is such a PITA, I'll just try KFC next time.

201204251254.jpg