ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

Back up set of folders to flash drive

<< < (2/4) > >>

4wd:
There's also HoboCopy - not as full featured as RoboCopy, (as they put it), but it can use the Volume Shadow Service to enable copying of in-use files which RoboCopy can't.

SyncBackPro (the payware version) can run profiles on Windows shutdown/logoff.-rjbull (July 14, 2012, 03:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think you could use the free version and just create a task in the Task Scheduler, (it might even be what SyncBack SE/Pro does), to execute at logoff.

FWIW, I use SyncBack Pro for all my automated data sync/backup tasks - a set of tasks are automatically run when I plug in an external HDD.

nkormanik:

SyncBack Pro looks promising, 4wd.  I'm curious if you use the compression option for back-ups?  If so, do you go with the default "standard/normal" level?

Compression would seem to be a plus for saving room on the destination, if that's an issue.

Thanks for mentioning SyncBack.

nkormanik:

Used SyncBack Pro to mirror c:\1\... to e:\1\... last night.  55 gigabytes.  Nearly a million files.

This morning I checked Windows properties on c:\1 and e:\1 to simply check if both folder trees were the same.  Most unfortunately it appears that ONE file didn't get mirrored over.

Presently using 4wd's TCBOO to attempt to find out which file is missing.

All other file diff programs seem to want to do careful file comparisons on source and destination.  Sheeesh.  Just tell me the file name that's different, please.

4wd:
Used SyncBack Pro to mirror c:\1\... to e:\1\... last night.  55 gigabytes.  Nearly a million files.

This morning I checked Windows properties on c:\1 and e:\1 to simply check if both folder trees were the same.  Most unfortunately it appears that ONE file didn't get mirrored over.-nkormanik (July 18, 2012, 08:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

SyncBack generates a report any time it runs, you should be able to open it by going to Task->View Log, they'll be opened in your default browser with details, eg. skipped files, errors, etc.

All other file diff programs seem to want to do careful file comparisons on source and destination.  Sheeesh.  Just tell me the file name that's different, please.
--- End quote ---

In Beyond Compare, uncheck the items below and it should only compare file names:

[ Invalid Attachment ]

I'm curious if you use the compression option for back-ups?  If so, do you go with the default "standard/normal" level?-nkormanik (July 16, 2012, 03:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

I only use compression for backup of my email into one big file and that's on LZMA - Normal compression, trade off between speed and size.  There's not much gain size-wise for the more compression you use but it takes longer to compress it.

If you're talking about images, then you're better off with the Burrows-Wheeler algorithm but in my view it's not worth it due to images being mostly compressed already, (unless you're saving them as uncompressed in the first place).  Better to reduce the size of the image by reducing colours used or changing format to a lossy standard.

nkormanik:

I set up Beyond Compare as you suggested, to hopefully focus ONLY on file name difference.

There is no "GO" button.  How do I get the Beyond Compare process started?

By the way, I tried to find the one-file discrepancy between directory trees using TCBOO.  No luck.  After an hour or so TCBOO quit, with warning about something exceeded, and stack overflow issues.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version