topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 6:24 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: The Bibbulmun Track: There and Back again in 100,000 words (or less)  (Read 2536 times)

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Last year our respective works graciously allowed Sandi and I (Sandi is my wife) to take leave to walk the Bibbulmun Track: We were absent for a couple of months (most of the time putting one foot in front of the other on the track), and  last week I posted the last day of our walk diary on our Blog and a short summary. It's been 8 months since finishing the walk, 10 months after starting the walk and an amazing 16 months since starting the initial planning.  During the break we diarised 44,416 words and took 9,621 photographs (most of which were on the track): these have been turned into 58 Blog Posts with 99,500 words and 4,359 photographs (no wonder it's taken 8 months and forced me to become a recluse ;-) ).

Experiences like the Bibbulmun are important for our sanity (…well, what we’ve got left).

I am overwhelmed by the numbers of our experience though:
1journey
2people
12camp grounds
35kg food eaten
53overnights
143SPOT messages
316hours of walking
1,021kilometres of track
5,223total $cost
9,106photographs taken
44,416words written
49,036metres skipped down
49,407metres trudged up
90,919GPS points recorded
1,215,573footsteps walked

Everything is collated on our Bibbulmun page: The Bibbulmun Track :: The Mowbray Version, which has a lot of stuff on it (both fun and helpful - just in case you may need it)!  The walk is grouped into the 8 weeks, and the 4K of photos have been published into subject albums: Flora (North & South), Orchids, Fauna, The Track, Trees (and Stumps), Fungi and Panoramas.

Some time ago I shared our time-lapse (from these slides), which was lots of fun, and generated quite a bit of comment – it does reveal our feelings at the beginning and end of the day:

Thanks to everyone for their support and interest (Mouser -- you were very quickly off the mark  8)): it was great fun and lots of fun remembering too…  Like I wrote in Albany "The walk has finished ... I hope it doesn't end"  :Thmbsup:

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
I'm just amazed at how you embraced this gargantuan project. I know I shouldn't have been surprised given how you tackled the other projects I've seen you work on, but still.. Many people talk the talk, few people walk the walk.  It's just been very cool and impressive to see in action.  Your journey reminds me of the real scientific explorers of our past, documenting details for future generations..  Thank you for sharing it with us.