ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Internet freedoms restrained - SOPA/PIPA/OPEN/ACTA/CETA/PrECISE-related updates

<< < (63/79) > >>

TaoPhoenix:
Imagine this in the style of a bait car episode!

8)

Renegade:
You think you've private lives
Think nothing of the kind.
There is no true escape
I'm watching all the time. -Judas Priest - Electric Eye
--- End quote ---

Whatever the country or governing political party, this form of protectionism would rather seem to indicate the actions of a puppet government, to me.-IainB (August 21, 2013, 03:08 AM)
--- End quote ---

+1 - Me too. I just wonder when/if our corporate masters will decide to come out of the shadows.
-Stoic Joker (August 21, 2013, 06:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

+1 & +1

Supreme court justice Clarence Thomas... hmmm... nothing fishy there...

The heads at the FDA. Nope. Nothing to see. Move along.

Aluminum market manipulation. And copper. And silver. And gold. Nope. Don't look at GS or JPM. Move along.

Artificial interest rates. The Fed. IMF. BIS. Central banks. Nope. Everything looks fine there...

Chris Dodd, his family, associates... Nope. Not fishy.

http://www.jfklibrary.org/Research/Research-Aids/JFK-Speeches/American-Newspaper-Publishers-Association_19610427.aspx

The very word "secrecy" is repugnant in a free and open society; and we are as a people inherently and historically opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths and to secret proceedings. We decided long ago that the dangers of excessive and unwarranted concealment of pertinent facts far outweighed the dangers which are cited to justify it.

For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy that relies primarily on covert means for expanding its sphere of influence--on infiltration instead of invasion, on subversion instead of elections, on intimidation instead of free choice, on guerrillas by night instead of armies by day. It is a system which has conscripted vast human and material resources into the building of a tightly knit, highly efficient machine that combines military, diplomatic, intelligence, economic, scientific and political operations.

Its preparations are concealed, not published. Its mistakes are buried, not headlined. Its dissenters are silenced, not praised. No expenditure is questioned, no rumor is printed, no secret is revealed. It conducts the Cold War, in short, with a war-time discipline no democracy would ever hope or wish to match.
--- End quote ---

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military%E2%80%93industrial_complex

This conjunction of an immense military establishment and a large arms industry is new in the American experience. The total influence — economic, political, even spiritual — is felt in every city, every statehouse, every office of the federal government. We recognize the imperative need for this development. Yet we must not fail to comprehend its grave implications. Our toil, resources and livelihood are all involved; so is the very structure of our society. In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military-industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists, and will persist.

We must never let the weight of this combination endanger our liberties or democratic processes. We should take nothing for granted. Only an alert and knowledgeable citizenry can compel the proper meshing of the huge industrial and military machinery of defense with our peaceful methods and goals so that security and liberty may prosper together.
--- End quote ---

Move along... Kennedy and Eisenhower were just more conspiracy nuts. YOU SHOULD REJECT THEIR VOICES!!!

http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2013/05/05/remarks-president-ohio-state-university-commencement

Unfortunately, you’ve grown up hearing voices that incessantly warn of government as nothing more than some separate, sinister entity that’s at the root of all our problems; some of these same voices also doing their best to gum up the works.  They’ll warn that tyranny is always lurking just around the corner.  You should reject these voices.-Tyrannical asshat
--- End quote ---

Yes. Reject those voices. Go back to sleep... Did you forget to take your soma? Sleep...

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable-JFK
--- End quote ---

Anyone think the figures in the shadows give a crap about how many people die when they force a violent revolution? They won't be on the front lines.

Vurbal:
Whatever the country or governing political party, this form of protectionism would rather seem to indicate the actions of a puppet government, to me.-IainB (August 21, 2013, 03:08 AM)
--- End quote ---

+1 - Me too. I just wonder when/if our corporate masters will decide to come out of the shadows.
-Stoic Joker (August 21, 2013, 06:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

They won't come out voluntarily. They just don't happen to realize they're re-enacting the American Revolution, having cast themselves as the British East India Company.

The problem with setting yourself up in an ivory tower is you can't see the mob of angry villagers until they're close enough to tear it down. The question isn't so much whether things are going to change as how bad they'll have to get before it happens. We're pretty close to as bad as I was expecting. We're not quite there yet, but definitely in the neighborhood.

Vurbal:
Anyone think the figures in the shadows give a crap about how many people die when they force a violent revolution? They won't be on the front lines.
-Renegade (August 21, 2013, 07:26 AM)
--- End quote ---

It's very unlikely to come to that. When the dust settles they'll probably wish it had. Military might is still fundamentally a financial proposition.

Their downfall will be death by a thousand paper cuts. It won't be the corporations in China ignoring patents and copyrights. It will be the soybean farmers in Argentina and Brazil who are already free from Monsanto's grip. It won't be some other country's military that ends their thousand year Reich. The NSA is already doing their best to convince the rest of the world not to do business with our vastly more important tech sector.

Just because they have unlimited money backed by almost as limitless government thuggery it doesn't mean they have the advantage. In fact they don't. If you're the undisputed heavyweight champion of the world you can't win by outlasting your opponent. Anything less than a crushing victory is a defeat. If you're just some guy off the street all you have to do is keep getting back up.

Their real power isn't tangible assets. It's perception. As long as people believe they're invincible they are. If they can't beat down a collection of every day people scattered around the world who only know each other from places like this they suddenly don't look so invincible. They don't feel so invincible either.

When the NSA wiretapping scandal became public the government barely reacted at all and they looked tough. When Bradley Manning leaked embarrassing classified documents to the world they went on the offensive, making an example out of him as a message to the rest of us. When that didn't stem the tide they started to make an example of anybody with the nerve to cross them. After Ed Snowden outed their secret police state it turned into an act of such overwrought hystrionics professional wrestlers started taking notes.

A war isn't over until one side stops fighting. When shock and awe doesn't work you'd better be prepared to go hand to hand in the trenches. That's something this generation of power elite has never had to do. It's easy to be tough when everything is going your way. When the shit hits the fan you find out hubris, greed, and a sense of entitlement are the only things holding your side together.

The endless parade of talking heads repeating the same talking points over isn't a sign of resolve. It's pure panic. Believe me, I know the feeling all to well. It's what happens when my brain overreacts to a stressful social encounter and my fight or flight reflex kicks in. Just like all those liars in Washington it's too late for me to walk away I either shutdown or meltdown.

When I'm panicked like that I know without a doubt I'm being completely rational but nothing could be further from the truth. If it's a meltdown I just keep repeating the same argument over and over because my most basic survival instinct is in control and all other circuits are literally shut down. It's the reaction of a cornered animal. That's what you're seeing out of Washington. Guys like Mike Rogers and James Clapper know they've been caught and they know how much worse it's going to get.

If this were just politics as usual the lies would be full of loopholes and completely lacking in substance. The focus would be purely on changing the subject. What they wouldn't be doing is repeating the same lie most people saw through a month ago and fewer people believed 2 weeks ago the same day yet another leak is published definitively exposing your lie beyond a shadow of a doubt. You don't get to be Chairman of the House Intelligence Committee without knowing how to be evasive and truthy and you certainly don't rise to the top of the intelligence world unless you're an expert at keeping your damn mouth shut.

Renegade:
Here's a rant about the return of SOPA 3.0. (NSFW- Lots of cussing. Refreshingly so! ;D )

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version