ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Light Table - a new way to view IDEs

<< < (2/2)

phitsc:
1. We use scratch projects, often having no more than main() to try out stuff. Or we just checkout to a different working folder. And the degree of modularisation in our system is very high, so we can work on just a specific part of it.

3. VS has Find All References (Shift + F12) which works very well. Its more the presentation of the information that is lacking.

4. Totally agree. That's what I meant with 'some of it already done'. Again, it's the presentation of the information and the way to get to it that doesn't work.

I'm not against innovation, quite the contrary actually. Nevertheless, I think VS still has potential for huge improvements with real productivity gains, without having to throw everything over board. But with release cycles every two years I just think the improvements don't come fast enough.

wraith808:
1. We use scratch projects, often having no more than main() to try out stuff. Or we just checkout to a different working folder. And the degree of modularisation in our system is very high, so we can work on just a specific part of it.
-phitsc (July 19, 2012, 02:53 AM)
--- End quote ---

I do that too.  But what if you didn't *have* to?  What if you could write the code in place and test it in place?  I've used scratch projects (and my drive is littered with them) and there's a whole overhead involved in even writing the simplest ones- especially when you consider references.  I was using Snippet Compiler (but it's not supported anymore) but references were a pain, especially as a lot of things that I want to test require a lot of references to get off the ground.  I've been using LINQPad as of late... but again with the references.

My references are already in my project- if I could just code a bit there and evaluate it (especially if I'm planning to use it if it works) it would save *so* much time!

3. VS has Find All References (Shift + F12) which works very well. Its more the presentation of the information that is lacking.
--- End quote ---

But what if you didn't have to find all references?  I don't even have to use shift+f12 - I have an add-in that allows me to mouse over the method name, and find them from the overlay that appears.  But that's still something that I have to do- I'd rather it be there when I need it - like it happens in Light Table.

4. Totally agree. That's what I meant with 'some of it already done'. Again, it's the presentation of the information and the way to get to it that doesn't work.
--- End quote ---

The devil's in the details- and sometimes that 80/20 rule leaves a lot on the table, i.e. deliver 80% of what you need... but the 20% that's the details and implementation could really make our lives a lot easier.

I'm not against innovation, quite the contrary actually. Nevertheless, I think VS still has potential for huge improvements with real productivity gains, without having to throw everything over board. But with release cycles every two years I just think the improvements don't come fast enough.
--- End quote ---

Truthfully, with VS, I'd be happy if they'd just fix the damn thing.  It crashes less with each iteration, but it still crashes way too much just doing the simplest thing.  When you need a checkmark to restart the application on exceptions- that might let you know that you're planning on it crashing too much.

phitsc:
When you need a checkmark to restart the application on exceptions- that might let you know that you're planning on it crashing too much.
-wraith808 (July 19, 2012, 08:12 AM)
--- End quote ---

;D   I can't disagree on that one!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version