ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Borland C++ Builder Contest

Entering SMIRF 8x8 + 10x8 Chess Program

<< < (7/14) > >>

marcsl:
Reinhard,

One last request, (I forgot to include on the last post, I know I'm getting greedy :D)
How about a captured pieces list...that would be a very nice feature.
just a suggestion, thanks,
Marc

Smirf:
I've had a chance to play SMIRF, what a terrific chess program.
I liked it, and on my first game I beat the computer, wow that
made me feel very proud. (at least for a little while, I'm not
usually very good at chess).-Marc
--- End quote ---
Congratulations! You must be an expert!
Now there are just two issues about the program,
why the need two have to keep going into the help
menu to press "keep testing"? is that a necessity?-Marc
--- End quote ---
If the program is asking you this, there is a reason for it. The Donationware version itself has its keys included. Thus there is no need to insert any different access key. And so that message would never come. But there is an additional improved engine for real donators. They will get a different necessary personal key set sent if they want to use the bonus engine.
If you get the "keep testing?" message, something has gone wrong, e.g. you have installed into an old existing version's folder, what should be avoided. Then Smirf is answering (badly) immediately - nearly without any thinking at all.
Also the screen does blink, it's not a real big deal,
but after awhile it does become a distraction.-Marc
--- End quote ---
Same reason like stated above. Simply install SMIRF into a NEW folder. It should work correctly then (32 Bit Windows only).
It looks like you are drawing the image on a bitmap,
or are you using a TPaintBox at all?
If you are creating it on a Bitmap and then drawing it
to the form canvas, I don't see why it should blink. hmm...-Marc
--- End quote ---
Already earlier I have answered to that question. The picture already is buffered. Thus I do not understand that effect.
But these are minor issues the game is very enjoyable, it's a
great chess program.  good work.-Marc
--- End quote ---
SMIRF will be contiunously improved from time to time. Actually it is not yet able to become the 8x8 world champion, may be in 10x8. Simply install SMIRF correctly and you will have even more fun!

Regards, Reinhard.

Smirf:
One last request, (I forgot to include on the last post, I know I'm getting greedy )
How about a captured pieces list...that would be a very nice feature.-Marc
--- End quote ---
This feature is planned, a place for it already is prepared. Simply wait some time ...
(I intend to list only different captured pieces.)

Regards, Reinhard.

Defenestration:
I don't want to cause any trouble for Rheinhard, but I'm wondering how SMIRF qualifies for entry. I ask because the rules state (I've added emphasis for the bit in question):

You may submit programs you have worked on prior to the contest start date, but you may not submit software that has been previously made publicly available. You are free to collaborate with others and enter as a team. Users are free to submit multiple programs/components.
--- End quote ---

Does this mean that apps which have previously been released to the public CAN be submitted ?

mouser:
your concern is valid Defenestration, however,
my memory is that smirf came by soon after the contest started and smirf wasn't really available to the public at that point.  only after he had entered it did he make it available to the public on his page, so that's still ok.

clearly smirf is a giant project that he's been working on for a while, but since it wasnt public before the contest it seems a valid entry to me.  that's my understanding but smirf can fill us in. 

for example see this post above from april, which is when i think he made a download available:
Now an always actual SMIRF download (1.7 MB) could be found at my page: http://www.chessbox.de/Compu/schachsmirf_e.html
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version