ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Borland C++ Builder Contest

Entering SMIRF 8x8 + 10x8 Chess Program

<< < (9/14) > >>

mouser:
sounds like SMIRF is a valid and fine entry in the contest to me.  :up:

note also that i have clarified the contest guidelines to make clear that you can make your entries into proper shareware at a later version if you like.

it's very hard to get donations for software (it's not so easy to get people to buy your software either sometimes!) - you really have to ask people seriously or they won't event consider it.

[ read my long article about some of these issues here: https://www.donationcoder.com/Articles/One/index.html ]

ps. Reinhard - I agree with carol that it's confusing to figure out what to do when it asks for a license key.  maybe you could make this simpler?

Smirf:
sounds like SMIRF is a valid and fine entry in the contest to me.-mouser
--- End quote ---
Great to read this!

ps. Reinhard - I agree with carol that it's confusing to figure out what to do when it asks for a license key.  maybe you could make this simpler?-mouser
--- End quote ---
Normally (correctly installed) SMIRF will never ask for keys. Nevertheless I will think it over how to handle conflicts when installed over earlier limited beta versions, which moreover have had a different installation folder name. Thus reported conflicts could be generated only "by intention".

Regards, Reinhard.

Carol Haynes:
Normally (correctly installed) SMIRF will never ask for keys. Nevertheless I will think it over how to handle conflicts when installed over earlier limited beta versions, which moreover have had a different installation folder name. Thus reported conflicts could be generated only "by intention".
-Smirf (July 17, 2006, 01:17 AM)
--- End quote ---

Strange - I have never installed an earlier version and I just ran the installer to install.

How do I 'correctly' install the program to avoid the 'missing keys' problem?

Smirf:
Strange - I have never installed an earlier version and I just ran the installer to install.-Carol Haynes
--- End quote ---

Thank you for sending a feed back to that problem! I have discussed the only one error case I have been able to cause myself. If there are other cases, I need help and details from those having that problems, but also from those who have none. SMIRF as donationware is intended to run under a recent 32 Bit Windows OS definitely without any need for special keys.

first (if having any problem):
1) uninstall every installed SMIRF
2) delete the ChessBox folder (in your program files directory)
3) clean install the current SMIRF version by starting "SmNewSetup.exe"

then report:
a) which OS has been used?
b) which SMIRF version is shown? (menu -> help -> about ...)
c) what is the engine's version (shown in SMIRF's caption)
d) has any SMIRF version been installed ever before?
e) is SMIRF executed within its installation folder as the default directory?
f) what in your opinion is wrong or ok?

finally (if SMIRF still is requesting a key set) try following license keys:
User:    Donationware Version - donate !
GUI:     5e1df0d6 58658371
Engine: 342f6f5e 026b3179

Thank you for your cooperation!

Regards, Reinhard.

Carol Haynes:
Strange - I have never installed an earlier version and I just ran the installer to install.-Carol Haynes
--- End quote ---

Thank you for sending a feed back to that problem! I have discussed the only one error case I have been able to cause myself. If there are other cases, I need help and details from those having that problems, but also from those who have none. SMIRF as donationware is intended to run under a recent 32 Bit Windows OS definitely without any need for special keys.

first (if having any problem):
1) uninstall every installed SMIRF
2) delete the ChessBox folder (in your program files directory)
3) clean install the current SMIRF version by starting "SmNewSetup.exe"

-Smirf (July 17, 2006, 12:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

Did all of those because there was no installation to remove.

then report:
a) which OS has been used?

--- End quote ---

Windows XP SP2

b) which SMIRF version is shown? (menu -> help -> about ...)

--- End quote ---

1.4.0 - 304 beta

Strange because the version I donwloaded (yesterday) said it was BC-163c (the link under the paypal icon)

c) what is the engine's version (shown in SMIRF's caption)

--- End quote ---

163c

d) has any SMIRF version been installed ever before?

--- End quote ---

No

e) is SMIRF executed within its installation folder as the default directory?

--- End quote ---

I presume so - it is from the desktop shortcut installed by the installer.

"C:\Program Files\ChessBox\Smirf-Don-BDS\SmirfGUI.exe"

f) what in your opinion is wrong or ok?

--- End quote ---

Don't know - the keys fields are clear and each time I start the program or start a new game it asks for keys to be entered.

finally (if SMIRF still is requesting a key set) try following license keys:
User:    Donationware Version - donate !
GUI:     5e1df0d6 58658371
Engine: 342f6f5e 026b3179

--- End quote ---

Those keys seem to solve the problem.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version