ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

How do I turn off image attachment previews in Gmail?

<< < (3/4) > >>

barney:
You know what's really freaky? Gmail itself  is marking these as important. If I mouse over the important icon, it says "marked important mainly because of the people in this message."
-daddydave (July 11, 2012, 06:21 AM)
--- End quote ---
Do you consistently mark them down (using the little yellow thingy in Gmail) as "not important"? I thought Gmail had a default rule that something is important, but you can teach it otherwise this way. It works for me, anyway.
-IainB (July 17, 2012, 12:27 AM)
--- End quote ---

Consider yourself either lucky or well-informed  ;).  Gmail pays no attention to whether I mark missives as important or unimportant.  It (the software) marks things as important that it has not seen me open for years, and ignores things that I mark as important - unless I set important in a filter, anyway.

Gmail also says it'll remove any messages in the spam or trash folders after thirty (30) days.  Does for my friend, never has for me - I have to manually go into and delete from both my trash folder and my spam folder  :huh:.

When I first discovered this, I had three (3) years of spam and trash accumulated ... thirty (30) days indeed  :P!

On the plus side, I don't seem to have the problem upon which this thread is based  :-\.

IainB:
@barney: That all sounds a bit weird to me. I haven't actually tested the 30-day thing for ages, as I usually (daily) systematically check through the Spam and the Bin, and check for any material I might want, before expunging the contents and leaving the Spam and the Bin folders empty.
You have gone through all your Gmail account settings and Labs settings with a fine-tooth comb have you? I tend to fiddle about with fancy filtering and such, and it is easy to make mistakes in them and then end up wondering what the heck is going on with my Gmail...     :-[

daddydave:
You know what's really freaky? Gmail itself  is marking these as important. If I mouse over the important icon, it says "Marked important mainly because of the people in the conversation."
-daddydave (July 11, 2012, 06:21 AM)
--- End quote ---
Do you consistently mark them down (using the little yellow thingy in Gmail) as "not important"? I thought Gmail had a default rule that something is important, but you can teach it otherwise this way. It works for me, anyway.
-IainB (July 17, 2012, 12:27 AM)
--- End quote ---

Consider yourself either lucky or well-informed  ;).  Gmail pays no attention to whether I mark missives as important or unimportant.  It (the software) marks things as important that it has not seen me open for years, and ignores things that I mark as important - unless I set important in a filter, anyway.

-barney (July 17, 2012, 02:24 AM)
--- End quote ---

Until I started getting this spam, I never saw a message marked important if it was from an email address I never sent an email to, and each spam seems to be from a unique email address. Now every single one of these new spams are marked important "mainly because of the people in the conversation" (as opposed to marked important because of words in the message). This now leads me to believe someone is logged into my account somewhere, spamming the same email addresses my email seems to be coming from, causing the importance ranking to get bumped up, and then quickly deleting the sent emails before I can find them.  

4wd:
This now leads me to believe someone is logged into my account somewhere, spamming the same email addresses my email seems to be coming from, causing the importance ranking to get bumped up, and then quickly deleting the sent emails before I can find them.-daddydave (July 17, 2012, 05:19 AM)
--- End quote ---

Down the bottom right of GMail, clicking Details will show the last 10 or so IPs that accessed your account, (this includes email clients):

I believe you can have it notify you if a login occurs from somewhere radically different, (eg. it alerted me when I went via a Russian VPN), you can also set it to tell you if more than one login is current.

Here:

Also, if you have a smart phone you can install Authenticator and use it to verify when you log in.  You need to activate GMail's two-step verification process, when you run Authenticator it generates a new 6 number pin every 30 seconds or so, you have to enter it when you log into GMail.

I use Authenticator on my main email account, the account I use for ebay/paypal and another account I use for purchases.

IainB:
This now leads me to believe someone is logged into my account somewhere, spamming the same email addresses my email seems to be coming from, causing the importance ranking to get bumped up, and then quickly deleting the sent emails before I can find them.
-daddydave (July 17, 2012, 05:19 AM)
--- End quote ---

This might help (detailed steps) - from a DCF post:
Run a security check on your Gmail account - if not already done

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version