ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Skwire Empire

Release: Comic Book Archive Creator

<< < (4/7) > >>

skwire:
Cool but why the dependency with winrar (more exactly the need to get winrar.exe to make it work)?-PhotoComiX (July 16, 2012, 06:45 AM)
--- End quote ---

As I explained above, the WinRAR/RAR license does not allow me to distribute the Rar.exe file.  Here is an excerpt from the license:

5. The RAR/WinRAR unlicensed trial version may be freely distributed,
      with exceptions noted below, provided the distribution package is not
      modified in any way.

a.  No person or company may distribute separate parts of the package
          with the exception of the UnRAR components, without written
          permission of the copyright owner.

b.  The RAR/WinRAR unlicensed trial version may not be distributed
          inside of any other software package without written permission
          of the copyright owner.

c.  Hacks/cracks, keys or key generators may not be included on the
          same distribution.

Can't be integrated instead some other free or open source (if the license allow) app as 7zip, IZArc ( a cool chinese unzipper ) or similar ?-PhotoComiX (July 16, 2012, 06:45 AM)
--- End quote ---

The Comic Book Archive Creator application does use the 7-zip commandline exe to create CBZ, CB7, and CBT files.  You only need to provide your own Rar.exe file if you want to create CBR files.  Does that make things clearer?

jgpaiva:
The Comic Book Archive Creator application does use the 7-zip commandline exe to create CBZ, CB7, and CBT files.  You only need to provide your own Rar.exe file if you want to create CBR files.  Does that make things clearer?
-skwire (July 16, 2012, 08:05 AM)
--- End quote ---
Just to clarify something which I hadn't understod and I believe PhotoComiX also hasn't:
The program already includes 7zip to do some stuff (cbz, cb7 and cbt), however, 7zip can't create CBR files; that's what you need winrar.exe for (which, presumably is the only one which does support the creation of CBR files?)

skwire:

Just to clarify something which I hadn't understod and I believe PhotoComiX also hasn't:
The program already includes 7zip to do some stuff, however, 7zip can't create CBR files; that's what you need winrar.exe for (which, presumably is the only one which does support the creation of CBR files?)-jgpaiva (July 16, 2012, 08:13 AM)
--- End quote ---

To clarify, it's the Rar.exe file that Comic Book Archive Creator will look for...not the WinRAR.exe file.  However, you're correct in that 7-zip cannot create RAR files.  In fact, without a license, no third-party can create RAR files.  They can all unpack RAR files because, as per the license, you can distribute and use the UnRAR components freely.  In other words:

1) Creating RAR files means you must have a license.
2) Unpacking RAR files is free.

So, to reiterate, Comic Book Archive Creator includes everything you need to create CBZ, CB7, and CBT files.  If you want to create CBR files, you will have to provide your own copy of the Rar.exe file.

Renegade:
1) Creating RAR files means you must have a license.
-skwire (July 16, 2012, 08:23 AM)
--- End quote ---

Unless they've changed, nobody can create RAR files because they do not license creating RAR files to anyone. Are you sure about that?

Or do you mean that the USER must have a license for WinRar so that you can call their licensed version from your program?

skwire:
Or do you mean that the USER must have a license for WinRar so that you can call their licensed version from your program?
-Renegade (July 16, 2012, 09:21 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, I meant the user must have a licensed copy of WinRAR in order to be able to create CBR files.  The Rar.exe file, that CBAC can use, comes with the WinRAR package.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version