ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

Create a file list from multiple folders

<< < (3/4) > >>

Contro:
Far less sophisticated, but a quick and easy hack for a recursive text dump of a directory and files:

http://renegademinds.com/TipsTricks/Dumpfileanddirectoryliststotextfiles/tabid/56/Default.aspx

Dump file and directory lists to text files

Need a complete list of files and directories from Windows? Don't feel like typing them manually? Here's the answer...

The following is a batch file that runs under command.exe or cmd.exe, depending upon whether you are using Windows 9x/Me or Windows NT/2000/XP/2003. Copy the file contents then save it in your SendTo directory as getDirListing.bat. In Windows NT/2000/XP/2003 the SendTo directory is in <DRIVE>:\Documents and Settings\<YOUR WINDOWS LOGIN>\SendTo.

--- Code: Text ---@echo Directory and sub-directory file listing dump by RenegadeMinds.com.@echo Visit http://Renegademinds.com for more Windows tips and tricks @echo and free software applications.@echo ==================================================================@echo ==================================================================@echo Save this file as getDirList.bat in your SendTo directory.@echo SendTo is under Documents and Settings in each user's directory.@echo Right-click on any directory in Windows Explorer and choose@echo Send To - getDirList.bat@echo ==================================================================@echo ==================================================================@echo Dumping directory listing to c:\dirListing.txt@echo        (This may take some time for large directory trees.)@REM the /A switch lists all hidden and system files as well.@REM the /S switch lists all subdirectories and their contents.@dir %1 /A /S > c:\dirListing.txt@echo Opening c:\dirListing.txt in Notepad (Close notepad to delete file)@notepad c:\dirListing.txt@echo Deleting c:\dirListing.txt@del c:\dirListing.txt@pause
Right-click on any directory and choose SendTo > getDirListing.bat.

Cheers,

Renegade

--- End quote ---

It goes in the "Send to" menu in your context menu.

But like I said, far less sophisticated. The only real benefit is that it is fast, easy, and you don't need to bother opening any software for it.
-Renegade (July 07, 2012, 02:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

Renegade thanks for the application email avenger. I was looking for the application.

Best Regards

Renegade:
Far less sophisticated, but a quick and easy hack for a recursive text dump of a directory and files:

http://renegademinds.com/TipsTricks/Dumpfileanddirectoryliststotextfiles/tabid/56/Default.aspx

-Renegade (July 07, 2012, 02:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

You'd need a separate batch file for each case and change the dir command in each:

@dir %1 /A-shd /S /on /b > c:\dirListing.txt         ** For sorted by Name with no Folders or System/Hidden files
@dir %1 /A-shd /S /od /tc /b > c:\dirListing.txt    ** For sorted by Creation Date with no Folders or System/Hidden
@dir %1 /A-shd /S /od /tw /b > c:\dirListing.txt    ** For sorted by Last Written, (Modified), with no Folders or System/Hidden

Use /o-n or /o-d to reverse the sort order.
-4wd (July 07, 2012, 06:10 AM)
--- End quote ---

I never sort as the default is fine for what I need, but thanks for that!  :Thmbsup:

I can't filter ?

I have too many hard drives and some 2 Tb.
-Contro (July 07, 2012, 07:19 AM)
--- End quote ---

You just right-click on a folder, so you don't need to do EVERYTHING. Cripes... that would take forever... :(

Renegade thanks for the application email avenger. I was looking for the application.
-Contro (July 07, 2012, 07:51 AM)
--- End quote ---

It's a bit dated now. :( Likely doesn't work as well as when I wrote it.

4wd:
You'd need a separate batch file for each case and change the dir command in each:

@dir %1 /A-shd /S /on /b > c:\dirListing.txt         ** For sorted by Name with no Folders or System/Hidden files
@dir %1 /A-shd /S /od /tc /b > c:\dirListing.txt    ** For sorted by Creation Date with no Folders or System/Hidden
@dir %1 /A-shd /S /od /tw /b > c:\dirListing.txt    ** For sorted by Last Written, (Modified), with no Folders or System/Hidden

Use /o-n or /o-d to reverse the sort order.
-4wd (July 07, 2012, 06:10 AM)
--- End quote ---

I never sort as the default is fine for what I need, but thanks for that!  :Thmbsup:
-Renegade (July 08, 2012, 11:14 AM)
--- End quote ---

I screwed up, it's /A-s-h-d to exclude System/Hidden/Directories - I forgot you had to neg each one.  :-[

4wd:
I was actually writing something to do this but found I didn't need to:

SMF by Kafu

It has excessive search filter capabilities and a SQLite driven result reporting tool, with which you can sub-filter the results according to your needs.
--- End quote ---

It's fast and it does indeed have excessive filtering - a universe ahead of anything I could have written :)

1. Select your directories
2. Specify any filename filtering and check the Attributes, Date Created/Modified.
3. Click Pre-filter files.
4. Uncheck System, Hidden, Directory, etc.
5. Click Search.

6. Click Show report and again on the next window.

You can sort by clicking on the column.

IainB:
@4wd: Thanks for the link - looks like an interesting find in its own right, as well as being a possible solution to the problem posed by @Contro.     :Thmbsup:
Downloading it now...

EDIT 2012-07-25 2219hrs: I took a look around that website - http://funk.eu/.
Very interesting software and other stuff - e.g., on the blog, a link to this superb trick cyclist video:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version