ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Someone may be maliciously using my domain name

(1/3) > >>

nite_monkey:
Recently I have been getting returned mail delivery errors stating that "somerandomname(at)mydomainnamehere(dot)com" could not be delivered, because the recipient doesn't exist. I know for a fact that this is not my doing, because I use, and am the admin of the google apps account that creates email accounts for my domain name, and none of the accounts that are sending these emails are real. So I am guessing someone is spoofing their email address and using my domain name to do it. I looked at the returned mail email error, and it said the email was mailed-by host102(dot)host102-server(dot)com.

There was a file attached to the error message that apparently gives me more information on the person who is doing it. Their name is apparently Phoebe Henry, and the reply to address is Annette Thompson.

I won't attach the file here, because it has this Annette person's email in it. If someone wan'ts me to though, I can remove their email, and then attach the file here.

any help on how to put an end to this would be much appreciated. I don't want this person/people to send an email to a real person, and have me take the blame for it.

mouser:
My understanding is that you are completely out of luck and that there is no way to prevent people from doing this stuff.  People do it and pretend to be mailing from @donationcoder.com accounts all the time.  It's extremely frustrating.

I hope I am wrong -- looking forward to what the experts here say.

nite_monkey:
That kind of sucks to hear, but I was almost expecting that.

wraith808:
I had the same problem, and found out through my trials that there's not really anyway to stop them.  They put bogus reply addresses (in many cases, they use an account on your server) so that they can get past some spam checks that don't use something akin to the Sender Policy Frameworkw check to make sure it's actually from that domain.  It can also get your domain blacklisted.  This was several years ago that I had this problem, so I'm not sure if something better has come along in the meantime.

rgdot:
I don't believe anything can be done, even if you do find a way the next spammer will arrive sooner or later.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version