ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Finished Programs

DONE: Are any of the files missing???

<< < (4/5) > >>

4wd:
Update up there:

* Full filename and path are listed in sorted output.
* Time taken display.
* Added Exclusion filter.
I just realised I can possibly increase the comparison speed considerably.

"I'll be back."

4wd:
I'm back!

Update:

* It got faster :)
It's gone from this

* 14003 comparisons
* 291 seconds
* 12% CPU
to this:

* 54548 comparisons
* 281 seconds
* 1% CPU
It even found the eight files there was only one of  :D

I think I'm going to stop while I'm ahead.

It's up there.

rjbull:
Oh that is surely inscrutable, pretty much goes against my knowledge of the word suppress, ie. suppress = remove;hide;subdue-4wd (June 27, 2012, 08:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

Maybe I should reboot my explanation of how I think comm works  :)

In comparing two files, you have three cases: lines in File 1 that aren't in File 2; lines in File 2 that aren't in File 1; and lines that are common to both files, i.e. cross-file duplicates.  File Intersection takes the sort of approach that end-users might expect, and sends each data stream to a separate file, sensibly named.  comm sends all three data streams to STDOUT, simultaneously, in three parallel columns separated by tabs.  You can catch its output in a pager like MORE, or redirect it into a text file and examine it with an editor, but it's very hard to read, even if you make tab characters visible, the more so as data lines are usually different lengths.  The switches clarify output.  They suppress one or more data streams, so you end up with only the information you want.  So, the use of the word "suppress" is correct, and the concept is logical, but it's the logic of a coffeed-up supergeek in a 3 AM coding session.

4wd:
So, the use of the word "suppress" is correct, and the concept is logical, but it's the logic of a coffeed-up supergeek in a 3 AM coding session.-rjbull (July 01, 2012, 03:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

Update up there.

4wd:
UPDATE (v0.5) here:

* Using a much faster sort routine.
@nkormanik:  Using the file tree you sent me, it was taking a ridiculously long time to sort the list, (I gave up waiting), so it may have failed because of something in the old sort routine.

New version goes through ~368000 files in about 10 seconds on my computer.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version