ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Error 451: The Government Has Censored This Content

(1/7) > >>

IainB:
Superb suggestion:
Ed Krayewski | June 22, 2012
There is currently no HTTP status code to indicate you can’t access content because it’s been prohibited by a government agency. Tim Bray, a Google engineer, has proposed the status code “451,” in honor of the recently deceased author of Fahrenheit 451, Ray Bradbury, for use when an ISP is ordered by the government to deny access to a certain website. From Bray’s proposal:

--- End quote ---

Renegade:
I like that. :) Clever. And it does add transparency, which is a sorely lacking thing.

TaoPhoenix:

This was kicking around a few weeks ago on Slashdot too before this article. Last I recall sometimes it's not so easy for the servers to know which is just a permissions "access forbidden" and which is censorship. Also this is sorta a joke, more social commentary, because for 50% of the censorship you can bet the govt won't even allow this error code.

There was a story a few days ago "telling people we are spying on them violates their privacy". (??!)

Renegade:
This was kicking around a few weeks ago on Slashdot too before this article. Last I recall sometimes it's not so easy for the servers to know which is just a permissions "access forbidden" and which is censorship. Also this is sorta a joke, more social commentary, because for 50% of the censorship you can bet the govt won't even allow this error code.

There was a story a few days ago "telling people we are spying on them violates their privacy". (??!)

-TaoPhoenix (June 23, 2012, 12:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

Was that the one where the NSA is whining about being asked how they are cooperating with Google to spy on people?

wraith808:
One point that I want to bring up... F451 wasn't about censorship, and Bradbury himself would get wroth when confronted with the fact that people thought it was about the same.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version