ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

In search of ... the whys and wherefores of NoSQL

<< < (2/3) > >>

wraith808:
I've done some research into non-RDBMS databases for a client. (I prefer non-RDBMS to NoSQL since there are at least 3 very different technologies calling themselves NoSQL right now.) I can save your school administrator some work. What I found: not ready for enterprise primetime except in very specific and specialized circumstances. For day to day general database requirements (i.e. any data that can easily be structured as a table - which is to say most data), RDBMS is still the best current choice.
-40hz (June 19, 2012, 12:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

An good implementation of No SQL is  MongoDB.  They actually have a really cool parser and examples there.  And I think that the not ready for enterprise primetime label really applies if you try to apply it to situations in which it is not meant for.  Most non-commercial solutions are not a good match- it is for IMO more consumptive uses of data, i.e. ecommerce and such.  The MongoDB website has use cases that spell that out, and examples of production deployment- and most of them mirror that ideology (though I can't see why there is a SAP deployment?  That would seem crazy to me).

Ath:
ever expanding collections of non-structured "stuff" (images, loose document collections, tweets, messages, etc.)
--- End quote ---
So in fact Lotus Notes (now owned by IBM) was in fact (one of) the first NoSQL storage systems, way back then 8)

wraith808:
ever expanding collections of non-structured "stuff" (images, loose document collections, tweets, messages, etc.)
--- End quote ---
So in fact Lotus Notes (now owned by IBM) was in fact (one of) the first NoSQL storage systems, way back then 8)
-Ath (June 19, 2012, 01:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

Ick.  Not exactly.  I remember my Lotus Notes days.  It was like a mega-access more than NoSQL in my recollection.

barney:
I've done some research into non-RDBMS databases for a client. (I prefer non-RDBMS to NoSQL since there are at least 3 very different technologies calling themselves NoSQL right now.) I can save your school administrator some work. What I found: not ready for enterprise primetime except in very specific and specialized circumstances. For day to day general database requirements (i.e. any data that can easily be structured as a table - which is to say most data), RDBMS is still the best current choice..
--- End quote ---

I think that hits the meat of the situation.  I could maybe see a NoSQL or even non-RDBMS, system for something like the entire school system of Chicago, Dallas, Houston, New York, et. al., but no way can I see it worth the effort and grief for a single school.

I think my lady has an idea of combining all school databases into one (1) [relatively] massive system.  I also think she doesn't have enough mass extant to be worth the effort.  I've pulled down a few docs on the subject - nothing clear, unfortunately - that I think I'll giver her along with a [redacted] printout of this topic.  That may be enough to dissuade her, or at least persuade her that she needs to grow a bit, first  :P.

As a side note I still have not seen anything close to a guideline as to when it might be advisable to switch.  That would be nice to have.  You know how it is, I suspect.  When you work for someone, especially gratis, a 3rd-party opinion is almost always better than your own  :-\ :P.

wraith808:
I think that hits the meat of the situation.  I could maybe see a NoSQL or even non-RDBMS, system for something like the entire school system of Chicago, Dallas, Houston, New York, et. al., but no way can I see it worth the effort and grief for a single school.
-barney (June 19, 2012, 02:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

I don't even see it for that.  Non-Transactional with limited relational capabilities is the key.  If you need relational data (and from at least my experience with school databases, you do) or transactions (same caveat) then this isn't really the way to go IMO.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version