ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Checking Bad sector in HDD and ExtHDD

<< < (4/5) > >>

4wd:
The OP has now said the drive was dropped, (it's like getting blood from a stone with some people :) ), if it was me, I wouldn't be using it any more - most likely the heads would have bounced which won't have done them any good.
-4wd (June 25, 2012, 09:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

...You gotta watch those pesky details.  :wallbash:

-Stoic Joker (June 26, 2012, 06:53 AM)
--- End quote ---

You got that right, I slammed my fist down on my desk a few months ago - a month later a 1.5TB suffered head detachment.

Coincidence ?  I'd like to say so but.......  

:-[

tslim:

How much is your data worth?
How much time do you want to spend on it?
How much money do you want to spend?
Can you live with the potential failure or worry about it constantly?

It's a purely subjective decision.

-4wd (June 25, 2012, 09:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

Lets say you have a HDD that starts developing bad clusters and by the time you find out the problem there is N bad clusters:

1. The number N increases rapidly. It won't wait.
2. If a a newly develop bad cluster take place on a spot where one of your Window component files or a driver - you get Blue Screen. Yes there is a chance you can run in safe mode, mark that spot bad, replace the corrupted crucial file and continue using that HDD.
3. Even when a newly bad spot corrupts a non-crucial data file, say cache file, cookies etc. You will soon find more and more program to response slower and slower... simply because quite often, an attempt to read something on a bad spot will take minutes if not hours before the system decides it is bad.

In brief, no matter what, it is not worth the trouble.
As soon as REAL bad cluster is found, trashing the HDD is a matter of affirmative and securing as much as possible data on it is an urgency... remember this:
Restoring backup to a new HDD is always easier and take much shorter time than rebuilding it from scratch.

The longer one make his/her final decision the more data will be lost and the more he/she suffers. I really can't figure out why this matter can become purely subjective?

Make it this way, even if I enjoy torturing myself, I won't choose to secure a HDD with bad sectors. I rather go with SM sex... :)

4wd:
Lets say you have a HDD that starts developing bad clusters and by the time you find out the problem there is N bad clusters:

The longer one make his/her final decision the more data will be lost and the more he/she suffers. I really can't figure out why this matter can become purely subjective?-tslim (June 26, 2012, 11:24 AM)
--- End quote ---

I don't know if you realise it but you are arguing for my case :)

Different circumstances = Different decision

As I've said all along.

An objective decision would be made if the drive stopped working completely, (eg. apply power and nothing happened)....but it hasn't so the choice is still up to the individual, (ie. subjective).

As soon as REAL bad cluster is found, trashing the HDD is a matter of affirmative and securing as much as possible data on it is an urgency... remember this:
Restoring backup to a new HDD is always easier and take much shorter time than rebuilding it from scratch.
--- End quote ---

The fact that manufacturers provide spare blocks shows that they expect there to be sector failures over the life of the drive - it's whether or not the number of those is excessive, in what circumstances, (time frame), they occurred and the life of the drive that would be of more interest to me in determining whether or not the drive is still suitable for my purposes.-4wd (June 20, 2012, 08:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

x16wda:
Just ran across this thread, nobody mentioned Steve Gibson's Spinrite?

4wd:
Just ran across this thread, nobody mentioned Steve Gibson's Spinrite?-x16wda (June 26, 2012, 08:24 PM)
--- End quote ---

1) friends don't let friends use SpinRite. Just thought I'd have to add it since it was mentioned.-f0dder (October 15, 2008, 06:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

If somebody starts using SpinRite on a drive with bad sectors and an upcoming head-crash... well...  :rip:-f0dder (October 15, 2008, 07:08 PM)
--- End quote ---

DRevitalize, Chkdsk, MHDD, etc could probably also fall into this category, since they both stress the drive to some extent you'd be well advised to recover as much data as possible before running any surface testing program over a marginal drive.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version