ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Checking Bad sector in HDD and ExtHDD

<< < (3/5) > >>

yksyks:
DRevitalize works on a physical level, so now you don't have any bad physical sectors, but there still might be some logical sectors marked as bad. There are some utilities for it, somebody here will for sure know. Unfortunately DRevitalize should have been run first, I'm afraid that the previous attempts to recover the data destroyed them for good. At least you now have healthy drive... Also pay attention to the Slow sectors and try to refresh them (read the tutorial first), they might be symptoms of sectors that are going to fail soon or later. On the other hand, under Windows you never know if this is not caused by the system being busy during the test. For a serious work it's better to run the DRevitalize for DOS, or boot another system, like BartPE and run DRevitalize for Windows from there. This is the must for the system disk.

tslim:

I have a 1TB drive that developed, as it happened, software bad blocks - I LLF'd it and it's been happily running with constant use every day without any further errors for the last 2 years - well past even the 1 year warranty they provide.
-4wd (June 20, 2012, 08:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

Software bad blocks is different from physical/hardware bad sector.
I have experienced sort of virus which maliciously marks bad clusters on HDD... it is relatively easier to be rectified than problem like file cross-linked in FAT32 or MFT corruption on NTFS HDD.

My advice is about REAL bad cluster(s) which can be easily and accurately discover using small and simple program like HDTune. Just one red block shows up, that is it, you can give up all hope on that HDD.

No offence, but I think it is very inappropriate to advocate the idea that HDD with bad sectors (or clusters) can still be healed ... by whatever program, you named it.

4wd:
No offence, but I think it is very inappropriate to advocate the idea that HDD with bad sectors (or clusters) can still be healed ... by whatever program, you named it. -tslim (June 25, 2012, 11:58 AM)
--- End quote ---

None taken, (and I hope I don't cause any), but my point was: until you know what you're dealing with, (software or hardware, temporary or permanent), then just saying the drive is terminal, (for me anyway), goes against all the years I spent as a technician.

But I also understand the point you and SJ make where you're dealing with business/critical systems, which is why I said it depends on the circumstances.

How much is your data worth?
How much time do you want to spend on it?
How much money do you want to spend?
Can you live with the potential failure or worry about it constantly?

It's a purely subjective decision.

The OP has now said the drive was dropped, (it's like getting blood from a stone with some people :) ), if it was me, I wouldn't be using it any more - most likely the heads would have bounced which won't have done them any good.

Stoic Joker:
The OP has now said the drive was dropped, (it's like getting blood from a stone with some people :) ), if it was me, I wouldn't be using it any more - most likely the heads would have bounced which won't have done them any good.
-4wd (June 25, 2012, 09:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

...You gotta watch those pesky details.  :wallbash:

:D

yksyks:
No offence, but I think it is very inappropriate to advocate the idea that HDD with bad sectors (or clusters) can still be healed ... by whatever program, you named it.
-tslim (June 25, 2012, 11:58 AM)
--- End quote ---

It's quite easy to condemn a program you apparently never tried. Never mind, I'm not connected to its author, and—sorry to say—I'm still using it in the demo mode. Okay, don't use it, don't believe me. I just wanted to share my experience. I simply cannot afford to purchase a new HD at the very first symptom of its failing—and even the best ones do fail. All my critical data are well backed-up regularly, and I'm repairing failing disks when necessary. Also, it's not a bad practice to refresh the slow sectors from time to time, even on a healthy drive. This approach saves me from this sort of problems for years now. Hope that helps someone else as well.

Of course, a dropped drive is something different, and I'd trash it as well after recovering the data, if possible.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version