ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Best Music Service

tech crunch article comparing music services

<< < (9/18) > >>

tsaint:
Following on from the disposable email addresses (veering OT I spose), here are links to a list of disposable email services:
http://www.tipmonkies.com/2005/10/04/disposable-e-mail-address-services and
http://email.about.com/cs/dispaddrrevs/tp/disposable.htm

I've been a long time user of spamgourmet but recently have started using mailinator.com for one time use addresses. It allows to just make any email address on the spot - eg [email protected] and then email is retrieved from mailinator.com.  The email is only retained for a limited time, and if someone else happened to choose junk4me besides you there'd be a problem, but within those limitations it works very well, with no prior planning required.

Hirudin:
Actually I am just getting started (after too long) using Yahoo's service which provides 500 disposable emails per account.

For those who don't know it works like this ...

You have you main account id which provides you emails address.

Withing the options section there is "Address Guard" in which you register a different id (say eg. nospam .... but that's bound to be gone!). Then you can set up  up to 500 email addresses in the format [email protected] where xxx is a chosen address for the service you are signing up for. For example if you were singing up to DC for newsletters you might choose [email protected].

All of these throwaway address you create are automatically delivered at your main address and can be filtered like ordinary mail if you want. You can even post using the dummy address.

Now you sign up with that address to DC only. If spam starts to arrive on that address you know where the address originated from and you can simply delete the dummy address. It doesn't affect any of your other subscriptions and because the email address doesn't contain any details of your main account name it can't be used to spam you mail inbox.

Works great - just wish I had started using it a while ago.
-Carol Haynes (April 19, 2006, 09:24 AM)
--- End quote ---
Wow! That is awesome!

Do you have to "sign up" for the dummy address, or can you just put [email protected] and mail will be delivered there?
To ask another way: Say I want to set up a DC account, can I just tell them my address is [email protected], or do I have to pre-register the ".donationcoder" portion of the address with yahoo?

Carol Haynes:
You sign up for a yahoo email address (I'm not sure but I think this service is only available if you have a paid subscription email service - but it is still cheap ... I get mine free from my ISP). Once you have an account in options you can go to "address guard" and set up a prefix for all you guarded addresses and then each time you want a new disposable address you go to the address guard page and enter the email address part you want. You then end up with an email address of the form [email protected] which you can keep and use as long as you want or ditch.

You can have up to 500 of these addresses active.

Rover:
Gmail (it's not a bad word!) allows spontanious disposable email.  for example:

[email protected]   where +sitename can be ANYTHING you want.  You can even setup filters to route based on the incoming address you created.

So [email protected] could be routed into my Read First Folder
and [email protected] could be routed into my SPAM folder.  ;D

(just kidding carol)

Hirudin:
Something else in the same category are completely open e-mail servers. Like Dodgeit and PookMail.

When you don't want to use one of your own email addresses you just us [email protected] or [email protected]. You don't have to register or anything. Then you just go to the website and enter the address you used, there are no passwords involved.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version